Fishing with ultra light fly rods.

Oldbones

Ahh
Beg to differ, but I use 3 or 4wt rods and have no difficulty with small lures and large fish.View attachment 27285

This was 20lb and was targeting the resident Rainbows. It took less than 4 minutes to land on my 10' 4wt Streamflex with 8lb fluro. I regularly catch trout up to 8lb in this lake on a 3 or 4wt rod, without taking too long.
This has filled me with confidence and I now look at my #2 and #4 weights like they will be all I ever need for the river.

ohanzee

A few years ago I met a fellow member on the river Lark in Suffolk who proudly showed me photos of his 10lb trout he caught on his 7'6" 3wt rod!
I have landed an 8lb salmon on a 3 weight, not something I'd like to repeat but I know it is possible in the right circumstances, my biggest wild trout was maybe 6lb in open water, it ran the line into the backing and between the fish and weight of the depth it took the line it tested a pretty stiff 5 weight to its max, a 3 weight would have been more than uncomfortable.
I'm also not that sure that many 3 weights are that light for normal wild trout sizes, the vast number of trout I come across are the standard 3 quarters loch trout, a 3 weight that can command a good 75' would be the ideal tool for that, ultra light to me would be 2 weight and below.

ejw

To follow up on my "Pike" picture posted earlier, I went out yesterday with my 11' 3wt. I had a few fish all around the 3lb to 4lb range. This is a new rod and its first outing. Good bend in it right to the but section and will throw a good line, not so good at casting into a stiff breeze. See vid attached taken with a head cam.
https://youtu.be/DXd_PI6MDg8

wjg

I find that I catch more of the larger trout with lighter line weights. Especially that first cast into a pool. I have myself convinced the 2&3wt lines land with less noise and disturb fewer fish. As mentioned, wind can make an ultralight day difficult. I use the rod to fight the fish with no regard to babying the tippet. Regularly land >20" brook trout in less time than I did with my 6 wt. If the rod blows up, it will be a good story.

Oldbones

I went out again with my Wyncwood 6' #2 River and Stream outfit and I caught a nice trout in fast water. I did give it a little line then I used side action on my rod to fight the fish.
The rod felt fine, I was worried about the tipped because its less than 3 lbs, but here is the fish in the net. Not the biggest but very nice and brilliant condition.
trout 2.3.JPG

stonepark

I went out again with my Wyncwood 6' #2 River and Stream outfit and I caught a nice trout in fast water. I did give it a little line then I used side action on my rod to fight the fish.
The rod felt fine, I was worried about the tipped because its less than 3 lbs, but here is the fish in the net. Not the biggest but very nice and brilliant condition.
View attachment 27380
Don't wory too much about the tippet, with 3lb on a 2 weight, the rod is light enough to absorb any shocks quickly and protect the tippet.

For an experiment if you have a luggage scale, secure handle to floor and then tie tippet to weighing hook and switch on if electronic, then lift scale with tippet and put as much pressure on it as you feel comfortable, and get someone else (if scale does not have a max weight function) to tell you the readings and you can see how much pressure you are putting on.

Last edited:

Oldbones

Don't wory too much about the tippet, with 3lb on a 2 weight, the rod is light enough to absorb any shocks quickly and protect the tippet.

For an experiment if you have a luggage scale, secure handle to floor and then tie tippet to weighing hook and switch on if electronic, then lift scale with tippet and put as much pressure on it as you feel comfortable, and get someone else (if scale does not have a max weight function) to tell you the readings and you can see how much pressure you are putting on.
I saw a demonstration in a shop, with a 13' float rod and a 2Lb bag of sugar. and a piece of 3 Lb line.
It explained it perfectly, and I bought the rod. Since then I have caught hundreds of fish. I usually just trot a float down a river and don't worry at all.
But with a 6' rod and 2.75 LB tippet I often wonder if it will hold up.

stonepark

I saw a demonstration in a shop, with a 13' float rod and a 2Lb bag of sugar. and a piece of 3 Lb line.
It explained it perfectly, and I bought the rod. Since then I have caught hundreds of fish. I usually just trot a float down a river and don't worry at all.
But with a 6' rod and 2.75 LB tippet I often wonder if it will hold up.
Just think of your 6ft fly rod as top half of the float rod.... 😉

prefab trout

I ventured into the world of light rods having fished 7wt to 10wt for trout and salmon all my life. It has revitalised my fishing experience and enjoyment with 1/2 pound brownies on dry flies giving me the rush I had been missing with overpowered rods on my local river.

I picked up a John Norris N1 #3 which is made by guideline and it is an absolute pleasure to fish.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Oldbones

Hook the fly to fence/branch and try to break the 2.75lb tippet 😉
You'll be surprised at what you can get away with.
I will definitely try this out, going out fishing tomorrow, it just feels like the shorter rod has less give than a longer rod.
Mind you I have landed bigger fish that the one above on my #2 weight.
This was from a tiny stream a few years ago.
My fish from Ramsgill.jpg

easker1

I have a home built 2wt 6ft 4pc I use this fairly regularly at some of the Hill lochs here , makes the smaller trout that much more interesting, easker1