Fishng etiquette

IS IT OK TO HANG ON TO THE BEST RUN IN A FLY FISHING BEAT

• YES IT IS FINE, GET THERE FIRST AND STAY ON IT

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • NO, TAKE TWO STEPS BETWEEN CASTS AND TAKE TURNS

Votes: 42 79.2%

• Total voters

pikecatcher

Here is the situation. Fished today on a free stretch of water. A guy arrived whilst I was worming, and took up the best fly fishing part of the beat. No probs. An hour or more later, I decided to get my fly rod out, and politely asked him if he would mind if I fly fished down the run. He refused and suggested I fished the next run down (it is not so good). I was polite and did not make a scene - but I think that he was way out of order. In his position I would have said "yes have a go". Even though this was not in Scotland, I thought that the Scottish "cast and two steps" is:confused: the sporting thing - or am I wrong? Is it OK to sit on the best run for hours, waiting for the fish to run through?

Last edited:

jezzerp

It may have been the polite thing to do and let you have a crack at the best run, but he was under no obligation to do so......he claimed the spot whilst it was free and has every right to fish it as long as he wanted. As long as he was polite in his refusal, I'm afraid I don't see how you can really complain. Personally I would have let you have a shot, but I don't think it's worth getting upset about.

davefish

No it's not ok. I, like you, would have been happy to let him fish through. Good time for a sit down and a smoke. Watching of course to see if he had any better ideas than me. Some people are just rude, no idea of fair play/etiquette. Selfish is the word that springs to mind :mad:.

Fair play to you, not saying anything. That's a sense of etiquette for sure. Hey, we are all 'in it' together, lets share. No?

Chris.

Last edited:

Darren Lewis

Trade Member
Alas free stretch of water = ********, without fishery rules to govern people, a ******** will always appear, seems to be the law........

BobP

Content yourself with the thought that as he had fished it for an hour any taking fish would either have been caught or spooked, so it is likely that you would have been wasting your time.

In that case fishing the other run may well have been the better option. Undisturbed water and all that.

dave b

The way I look at it is if it had been a coarse angler and he had set up for the day, you'd have had no grounds for complaint. It's a free stretch, he was there first and has as much right as any other angler to fish there or anywhere else on the river.

Most rivers have a multitude of glides, riffles and pools, the bonus of trout fishing is you travel light and can take your pick and move on. Even on a trout club water I would not have asked the angler to move on, although I may have asked how long he was going to fish the pool for so I could give it time to recover and then come back.

As Bob has indicated I would not want to fish the same run straight after another angler as it would have been better to fish elsewhere and then come back.

Last edited:

pikecatcher

As it happens, the fishing gods punished him. He hooked and lost a fish about 8 lb. However I just caught wee out of season brownies, was hoping to show him how it was done!

floatfish

Cannot say I have ever been asked to share/ allow a stranger to fish where I was. Seen people move in when I moved on, and done the same as others move. Only time I got to share was when the lad was fishing close by, he not catching, and if I caught anything, he would be fishing over my shoulder within minutes.!

pentlandflyman

Every water I've fished I've worked my way up or down between casts, I'm in the minority though! far too many guys think that if they get there first they can stay in the one spot all day, worst still are the clowns that appear and start fishing in the middle of the run, it's selfish and makes you angry but these idiots are brought up without any manners and don't think they are doing any wrong.

Same on boats, idiots cutting in front of your drift, motoring across you or anchoring up and stopping others drifting.

I've been asked a few times on the Teviot to get out the water and let the salmon guys fish through, that's the rules! not happy about it but you accept it when you buy the permit.

Latest posts