Flank marks on sea trout?

baca157

This thread intrigued me so I started paying more attention to wild brownies I catch in the rivers in Scotland. I recall seeing marks on flank before but will have to go through my photos to find them. Here is a fish caught in the Tummel last Sunday:
7D9DD4CE-7DDF-45ED-A912-D900D7419F29.jpeg

And the same fish from the other side
08F80045-E149-4D63-A760-1D72338696CB.jpeg

Both sides were marked - the second photo doesn’t clearly show the marks but there are there, just not as strong as on the right flank. The right flank was definitely a wound, but on the left side it was more a graze, but still definite markings.

after a quick scan I found photo of another Tummel brownie from about a month ago, also marked.

071B16DC-B229-4FA8-ADF7-AEEB50880D0D.jpeg

Sadly, I don’t have a photo of the other flank.

Cheers,
Sebastian

david barnes

They are without question not net marks.
Migratory fish tend not to end up in trawler nets anyway.

Andy
Well they’re remarkably similar to the marks and scarring left by trawler nets in bass, mullet, mackerel etc. Whilst you may be right about migratory fish not ending up in a net, they’re certainly quite capable of escaping at a certain size. Which happily coincides with the size of fish exhibited thus far.
I don’t fish freshwater, only the salt and perhaps I see more of it than most commenting.

Elwyman

Photo of a red salmon I landed today, unfortunately foul hooked near the anal fin. It went ballistic and twisted around the leader a few times during the fight. I beached it and unwrapped the line for a photo, but it managed to swim off and came back wrapped in the leader again.
I think the photo clearly shows where the line has rubbed against its flanks and left marks.
Note: the leader is still wrapped around fish when this photo was taken.
20211011_145105.jpg

Latest posts