Fledgling Blackbird;

Uncas

Found one near our garden wall, well feathered but with a gunge up left eye, Rats&cats around so we brought him in
( I assume it's a male ) been feeding it with boiled egg and grape chopped up and he it is doing well, going to take it to the dogs home as they have an aviary ( if they will take it ? )

Uncas

Well it turned out to be a fledgling Robbin, after feeding it through the night we have an old fish tank about 2'6''x 2' deep x 1' wide so we made it a nest in there and put it outside under our lolly-pop tree and watched a pair of Robbins feed him all day it was wonderful they where fly in and out at regular intervals with food and when we brought him in for the night he looked fit and chirpy.
Sadly he died during the night, so we are going to bury him in the garden today.

ohanzee

I had a Bullfinch hit the window with a fair belt, thought it was dead but I put a shoe box over it in case the crows spotted it, it came round about 20 mins later looking a bit dazed, I arranged the shoe box to cover it leaving a gap to escape when it felt fit enough and sure enough it did a bit later.

Its the only bullfinch I have ever seen.

wobbly face

I had a Bullfinch hit the window with a fair belt, thought it was dead but I put a shoe box over it in case the crows spotted it, it came round about 20 mins later looking a bit dazed, I arranged the shoe box to cover it leaving a gap to escape when it felt fit enough and sure enough it did a bit later.

Its the only bullfinch I have ever seen.
I did something similar when a long tailed tit hit a window at work. Cold frosty morning, it was breathing so placed it on a wall in the sunshine where it was warmer. Flew off after 10 mins.

ohanzee

One to watch with very small birds, a vet told me that their heart and cardio system is super fast, which can make even handling them result in panic and a heart attack.