Flexothene

11foot5

Anybody used flexothene waterproofs? If so, what’s your opinion on them please?!! Gore Tex doesn’t really do it for me unfortunately.....I find it leaks eventually and is cold when wet. Admittedly I haven’t tried the three or four layer versions at £200++ So, for 100% waterproofing (allegedly) I’m looking at flexothene.

Scotty Mitchell

Get hold of Army Surplus Combat 95 Goretex, if you don’t mind looking like a camouflage cock, if it’s leaking it’s ripped. I use the trousers.
Flexothane in my experience (1 pair, binned) is very poor.
I wore Combat 95 in way worse than I’d fish in and stayed bone dry every time.

Tangled

I think if you want to sit in a boat all day you need to avoid anything breathable - except maybe the heavy jobs. Personally I use cheap work wear gear in boats - proper plastic.

bobmiddlepoint

This came up on another thread recently.
The science says breathable waders will give you a wet arse.
Thousands of anglers wear breathable waders in boats, some of us in horrendous weather, and never get wet.

I don't think there is any such thing as a cheap gortex waterproof, cheap means leaky (although I've no experience of the army surplus stuff).
So a good pair of breathables topped with a coat of your choice. For me it is Paramo which while pretty expensive at first does at least last for years and has no membrane to fail and so is (with reproofing) always waterproof. It has the added advantage that it doesn't matter if you (or someone else) sticks a hook through it as you simply pull it out and it's still waterproof.

Andy

codyarrow

I've used a few of the army goretex, Austrian, German and British. It is all of a muchness really. Waterproof to a point; not constant all day rain in a boat.
The helly hansen stuff is good providing you can find clothing without some form of high viz flash on it.

airsprite

I got myself a pair of Flexothane trousers recently off Ebay, just over £20.
I do have some Gortex trousers but was finding them a pain to keep clean with all the mud we have around at the moment.
I have been really pleased with the Flexothane, and they fit well not baggy like some others i have seen.
Easier to keep clean as they are smooth, just wash down or wipe over.
Im sure they would be fine in a wet boat, great for the cooler months, but i do think they would be hot in the summer.
I think they are a bargain for the price and will be getting a spare pair.

Steve

Cap'n Fishy

Anybody used flexothene waterproofs? If so, what’s your opinion on them please?!! Gore Tex doesn’t really do it for me unfortunately.....I find it leaks eventually and is cold when wet. Admittedly I haven’t tried the three or four layer versions at £200++ So, for 100% waterproofing (allegedly) I’m looking at flexothene.

I had a pair of Flexothane overtrousers in the 1990s and they were brilliant. 100% waterproof when sitting in a boat all day in pouring rain. I recommended them to Jimmy, when he was needing a new pair, and he bought a pair, only to find they were worse than useless. It turned out the company had changed hands and the new owners had changed the manufacturing processes.

No idea what the present-day ones are like?

Col

airsprite

I had a pair of Flexothane overtrousers in the 1990s and they were brilliant. 100% waterproof when sitting in a boat all day in pouring rain. I recommended them to Jimmy, when he was needing a new pair, and he bought a pair, only to find they were worse than useless. It turned out the company had changed hands and the new owners had changed the manufacturing processes.

No idea what the present-day ones are like?

Col
Hope mine are some old stock then, haven't used them in a boat yet but been good in the rain.

Steve

bobfly2

Frequently used by vets and similar. OK for general use, tend to tear down at the tops of jacket pockets. Popular in Ireland. The critical point is to check if the seams are fused heat sealed and not simply sewn seams which will leak.
All problems are avoided by wearing pvc bib n brace overtrousers 😉

Cap'n Fishy

Yes, for sitting in a boat all day!

For sitting in a boat all day - simple PVC/PU overtrousers are best. As others have said, as long as they have welded seams...

I've had a pair of Fortex ones for several years and they are still 100% waterproof when sitting in a boat all day in pishing rain.

I think this is them

Col

Last edited:

ed_t

Guy Cotten pvc bib and brace and smock jacket if you want to be bone dry. Need to think a bit about under layers for good sweat wicking. A breathable jacket and fleece layers works ok. The bib and brace stops water collecting or leaking into lower back, erse and crutch. Avoid anything with a fly for latter reason.

Cap'n Fishy

Guy Cotten pvc bib and brace and smock jacket if you want to be bone dry. Need to think a bit about under layers for good sweat wicking. A breathable jacket and fleece layers works ok. The bib and brace stops water collecting or leaking into lower back, erse and crutch. Avoid anything with a fly for latter reason.

Main issue with bib and brace in a boat is having a piss. Too much faff! Simple PVC/PU over-trousers with an elasticated waist are no problem to pull down. If it's pishing rain, you'll already have the top half covered with a Gore-Tex shell or similar, so back leakage, etc is not an issue.

I am 50 years a boat fisherman. For me, wet weather gear is dead simple. Gore-Tex shell 3/4 coat/jacket. PVC/PU over-trousers. Sorted. (y)

ed_t

Main issue with bib and brace in a boat is having a piss. Too much faff! Simple PVC/PU over-trousers with an elasticated waist are no problem to pull down. If it's pishing rain, you'll already have the top half covered with a Gore-Tex shell or similar, so back leakage, etc is not an issue.

I am 50 years a boat fisherman. For me, wet weather gear is dead simple. Gore-Tex shell 3/4 coat/jacket. PVC/PU over-trousers. Sorted. (y)
Fella i used to go boat fishing at sea had a bit of hose pipe tied to his belt and run down to end of the trouse. Could fumble his todger into the hose then it was out on deck and out the scuppers.

Cap'n Fishy

Fella i used to go boat fishing at sea had a bit of hose pipe tied to his belt and run down to end of the trouse. Could fumble his todger into the hose then it was out on deck and out the scuppers.

Yeh - bit of unnecessary faff on yer average day's loch fishing I reckon... when you can just keep a pair of 12 quid PU trousers in your bag, just in case the day turns into a wet one...

Latest posts