Flies for Alaska

kevinb

Hi there looking for a bit of help my cousin is going to Alaska grayling fishing on the alagnak river want to tie him a few flies dry and nymphs if any one can help with types or size it would be great . Cheers Kevin.

devenish1

A friend who has guided in Alaska for many years recommends dry flies such as Elk Hair Caddis, Royal Wulff, Parachute Adams and Stimulator, and wet flies like Copper John’s and Pheasant Tails. Depends on when he is going but if the salmon have started spawning and he is going with a guide I suspect he will be encouraged to fish beads, which are deadly for grayling and trout.

kevinb

Thanks for your reply. Since placing the post I have spoken to a few people and they have all answered the same as your friend it seems a good variety of sizes is important as well so i better get tying. Many thanks again devenish1 cheers Kevin,

Vermontdrifter

Thanks for your reply. Since placing the post I have spoken to a few people and they have all answered the same as your friend it seems a good variety of sizes is important as well so i better get tying. Many thanks again devenish1 cheers Kevin,
Try and get hold of Hardy on here who is a moderator as he is based in Alaska