Flies for barbel and river carp

streamerjunkie

I plan to start targeting some other species on fly once the coarse season opens - namely barbel and river carp. Does anyone have any recommendations for what kind of flies to use, other than the usual suspects (i.e. squirmies and bread-flies).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

JayP

That is a good article, thanks very much for the link! I've just invested in a fibreglass 8' 6wt which should be a lot of fun for them. Now I just have to wait for the season to open!

I've only fished for barbel and carp in Spain and Portugal, on the dams and stillwaters both were freerising and would take imitative bug patterns off the top and the river barbel would take nymphs readily, I'd say a #10 guides choice was my most successful fly :thumbs:

One of the few I photographed

#flyfishing on Instagram: “A barbel aka golden bone decided to hit the guides choice nymph #no1fly #barbel #flyfishingjunkie #notatrout #catchandrelease #wild…”

streamerjunkie

Tom, I take it that an Abel will be attached to this 8ft 6wt? :)

How did you guess Tim? I already have it rigged and ready :partybeer:

- - - Updated - - -

I've only fished for barbel and carp in Spain and Portugal, on the dams and stillwaters both were freerising and would take imitative bug patterns off the top and the river barbel would take nymphs readily, I'd say a #10 guides choice was my most successful fly :thumbs:

One of the few I photographed

#flyfishing on Instagram: “A barbel aka golden bone decided to hit the guides choice nymph #no1fly #barbel #flyfishingjunkie #notatrout #catchandrelease #wild…”

Thanks for the advice Jay, I'm looking forward to getting involved :whoo:

bokbok59

We catch mainly sharp tooth catfish out here and they go for anything, you might be casting for yellow's and end up with a barbel, they grow fairly big and you have a good chance of losing your rig if not equipped for them, out here any fly will catch barbel, Walkers Killer, Mrs. Simpson’s, Wooly Buggers, Half Chickens and any other bulky fly. If you are really at a loss as to what fly to use, go and look at the bass flies in your local tackle shop. These will basically all work.

bokbok59

IMG_0836.jpgIMG_0839.jpg

Sash

I have caught carp in rivers using a Walker’s Mayfly Nymph, and a goldheaded variant. So quite large flies: about an inch long. Carp took them happily.