img_20210305_215116-jpg.36890

Attachments

• IMG_20210305_215116.jpg
    IMG_20210305_215116.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 572
Last edited:

bobmiddlepoint

Doobry I'm loving your simple spiders.
The partridge and olive one was one of my most reliable wet flies on the Devon streams. I've never seen it mentioned in books or anywhere else which is odd as it would seem an olive bodied spider would be an obvious pattern.

Andy

doobrysnatcher

Doobry I'm loving your simple spiders.
The partridge and olive one was one of my most reliable wet flies on the Devon streams. I've never seen it mentioned in books or anywhere else which is odd as it would seem an olive bodied spider would be an obvious pattern.

Andy
thanks andy, that olive one is actually yellow utc thread waxed heavily , its my yellow partridge sorry to dissapoint you ,i use it during the summer ,and sometimes it out fishes greenwells,

iainmortimer

On a rocky tumbly stream or river an elk hair sedge, bleached elk so that I can see it.

On a smooth flowing river or chalk steam a deer hair emerger.

Neither would I have full confidence in 100% of the time but they take me more fish than anything else.

Last edited:

doobrysnatcher

On a rocky tumbly stream or river an electric hair sedge, bleached elk so that I can see it.

On a smooth following river or chalk steam a deer hair emerger.

Neither would I have full confidence in 100% of the time but they take me more fish than anything else.
I heard you say that about your deer hair emerger before what's the dressing again
Do you fish it all season
I've not heard of the electric hair sedge any pictures

iainmortimer

I heard you say that about your deer hair emerger before what's the dressing again
Do you fish it all season
I've not heard of the electric hair sedge any pictures
🤣🤣🤣 I hate autocorrect😬Now corrected to say elk hair sedge!

The tying for the DHE is HERE

I mention about the blend. Don’t worry to much about that. Just make sure there is plenty of spiky guard hair for that scruffy, buggy look. To tie it:
1. Tie in you choice of shuck. I like fine sparkle which is a craft shop glitter or sparkle thread that I untwist to the individual fibres.
2. Stack your deer hair and create the wing with a few figure of eight wraps to make it stand up the way you want - don’t worry if it angles forward at this stage. Cut the butts at an angle and create a smooth body contour as you tidy up.
3. With your thread hanging by the back of the wing, create your dubbing noodle and wrap the body in reverse ie finishing at the tail and then use open spirals of your thread as a rib as you return it to hanging behind the wing.
4. Having added some extra guard hairs to your dubbing create a thin noodle and build the thorax using it to get the wing to stand at the angle you like.
5. Finish with the thread by the eye of the hook, put a drop of varnish on the thread and whip finish. If you wish you can trim the body to a nice carrot shape but if you do, scrub out some guard hair again because you want it spiky!

Last edited:

JayP

🤣🤣🤣 I hate autocorrect😬Now corrected to say elk hair sedge!

The tying for the DHE is HERE

I mention about the blend. Don’t worry to much about that. Just make sure there is plenty of spiky guard hair for that scruffy, buggy look. To tie it:
1. Tie in you choice of shuck. I like fine sparkle which is a craft shop glitter or sparkle thread that I untwist to the individual fibres.
2. Stack your deer hair and create the wing with a few figure of eight wraps to Blaber it standing up the way you want - don’t worry if it angles forward at this stage. Cut the butts at an angle and create a smooth body contour as you tidy up.
3. With your thread hanging by the back of the wing, create your dubbing noodle and wrap the body in reverse ie finishing at the tail and then use open spirals of your thread as a rib as you return it to hanging behind the wing.
4. Having added some extra guard hairs to your dubbing create a thin noodle and build the thorax using it to get the wing to stand at the angle you like.
5. Finish with the thread by the eye of the hook, put a drop of varnish on the thread and whip finish. If you wish you can trim the body to a nice carrot shape but if you do, scrub out some guard hair again because you want it spiky!
Andrews scruffy dubbing makes a cracking DHE

Latest posts