Float tube for tall guy.

Hi all, I am thinking of getting a float tube. At 6ft 6" and having the curse of really long legs, I was wondering if there was any suitable float tubes that would support the back of my thighs/ upper legs without me slipping forward and off the seat. I've never tried it so don't know what to expect. Is there any tubes that have adjustable seat length?

Thanks

noel

Hi all, I am thinking of getting a float tube. At 6ft 6" and having the curse of really long legs, I was wondering if there was any suitable float tubes that would support the back of my thighs/ upper legs without me slipping forward and off the seat. I've never tried it so don't know what to expect. Is there any tubes that have adjustable seat length?

Thanks
Have a look on the Bfta website.

pentlandflyman

Guideline drifter has a decent seat and thats the one i settled on after trying the shakespeare, snowbee and vision. this was approx 10 year ago and there are new models now so i would defo if possible try before you buy but that isn't as easy as trying a fly rod or waders. get on the websites and float tube forums and see what replies you get, my problem was finding one for a 6ft fatty lol

Lewis Chessman

Hi. My ancient, basic Ron Thompson tube has a strap and buckle which connects between the legs from the front of the seat to the crossbar. It makes slipping forward and out impossible. Perhaps look for something similar?

You might look at pontoon float tubes like this if you find u- or v-tubes uncomfortable. They may be more comfortable for you but are usually more expensive. I haven't tried a pontoon myself but would worry that the added elevation makes one more prone to getting blown about than a lower tube.

bignedkelly

I would recommend trying one out if possible.
Dont know where abouts you are but I know that Kinross hire out float tubes - all you need are your waders.
Would give you a far better idea what would suit if you can sit in and fish from one yourself.
I am 6'2" and I use a basic model ron thompson tube and it does me just fine.
As far as slipping forward off the seat I found that if I had the back rest fully inflated it does cause this but once you let some air out its not a problem.

243dunc

Thanks
Hi, I'm 6'5" and I use a Guideline Drifter. Really chuffed with it, bought it from ADH fishing in Germany....much cheaper as a kit and + 2year guarantee! I have no criticisms at the moment and have used it a few days last year when we were allowed out.