Float Tube with Oars

treecutter

Has anyone bought a float tube with oars, if so what make, model & are they any good.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Bobfly2

Waste of time. Why divide your time between fishing and rowing? With proper flippers like Mares Avanti Quatro you can go out in very windy conditions. Rowed tubes are too high in the water and are always blown about on the surface. Might be suitable for a gentle breeze at most??

Reactions: ejw

Mrtrout

If you're 'paddling like a demented duck' you need to talk to somebody who knows a bit about float tubing.
It was ten years ago Paul, I went with an ex forum member who was an expert. Even he struggled that day, it was a very strong wind on Stocks.
I don’t care how good anyone thinks they are with a wind at your back like that it’s virtually impossible to make any headway, you need all your strength to keep static.
I sold it a week later, arthritic feet didn’t help either.
S.

PaulD

It was ten years ago Paul, I went with an ex forum member who was an expert. Even he struggled that day, it was a very strong wind on Stocks.
I'd suggest that if the wind is of a such a strength that an experiences tuber (with proper fins - not the pathetic little stumpy things that often accompany float tube 'kits') is unable to control the tube adequately, then it's unwise to launch in those conditions.

However, my experience, having been out on windy days at Rutland (BFTA meeting), Eyebrook and Ladybower that once you come to terms with the fact that movement in a tube isn't 'fast', and technique cannot be replaced with effort, the tubing experience becomes a lot more pleasurable.

roadrunner1000

I tried in once at Weirwood reservoir many years ago (sadly no longer a trout fishery). Good fun, although when the wind picked up I did struggle. Just a shame that no lakes near me allow it.

sean freeman

My mate has the guideline drifter with oars and reckons they’re just another thing to get line caught on, as for propelling myself, I’ve been finding the dive boots and Apeks RK3 fins excellent.

PaulD

A lot of the more 'modern' float tubes are quite high on the water, the seat is high too and the back profile produces quite a windbreak. I have a couple of Steve Parton's 'Spartan' tubes where the sitting position is much lower and consequently the whole back of the tube is lower.

When I first got into tubing I invested in Force Fins but subsequently I've found Hollis F1 dive fins much better.

Hollis F1.jpeg