Fly advice for drop shot nymphing

LDO

I have finally after many false starts committed myself to tightline nymphing with a drop shot rig, and even started to catch a few fish. However I have very few suitable flies yet and would like some advice about what to tie - two or three trusted patterns would be ideal. I am mainly fishing in pocket water and faster runs on smaller Scottish upland rivers. I am presuming that the flies do not need to be weighted.

Cheers!

Mr Notherone

As you have committed to tightline nymphing, can I ask why you have chosen to use shot? I know it's popular in the US perhaps more than here.

I much prefer to use a range of weighted nymphs to suit the speed and depth of the water. As to patterns, I find simple pheasant tails and hares ears work everywhere - usually the scruffier there better.

Reactions: LDO

Mr Notherone

Thanks, as regards drop shooting I have just found that so far I lose less tackle and that it is easier to adjust the anchor weight than change the flies.

Interesting - not something for me I think, but if it works..why not.

wrongfoot

Is it within the rules of your beats? I couldn't fish it on mine whether I wanted to or not. No shotting or separate weights when fishing the fly, fly can be weighted in the dressing though. This despite leaded spinning lures and controller floats being allowed on some beats.

I'd definitely need to be asking up front.

That said, I'm very interested to hear how you do. Please post an update.

LDO

Hi Wrongfoot, a forum member Rabmax seems to have applied the technique very successfully, he is based in Ayrshire and posts often on the trout and grayling 2021 thread. I'm a fairly good dry fly fisher, but totally busted back down to private with nymphing. Regulations regarding shot don't seem to be quite as strict up here in Scotland. I also work and fish regularly (before Covid!) in the USA and it seems to be one of the most common methods used there.

rabmax

If you are fishing upland streams & peat stained.The fish won't be overly fussy. They are probably heavily dependent on terrestrial insects.You wouldn't go wrong with Stewart's black spider'Peacock & black.My two best patterns are the black magic nymph & micro mop flies in cream or chartreuse.I do like adding hot orange or chartreuse glo-brite tags to some of my black magic nymphs.These slay everywhere in Scotland especially the black magic.I will often use a 2mm tungsten bead in silver or metallic pink when they want flash.The drop-shot works great.Just as effective as euronymphing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200701-191103_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20200701-191103_One UI Home.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210531_185913.jpg
    20210531_185913.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46

LDO

Thanks very much Rabmax, this is exactly what I was looking for. You are a gent for being so generous with your hard earned knowledge. I will get busy at the vice. I am really just at the start of this type of fishing, and as I'm approaching retirement age clambering up a gushing stream is proving challenging enough. Having ammo I can trust will greatly help.

Mr Notherone

The drop-shot works great.Just as effective as euronymphing.

As a matter of interest do you choose to place the shot on the point with flies on droppers above, or place shot on the line, somewhere above a point fly. Curious as to which you think gives a more natural drift?

rabmax

As a matter of interest do you choose to place the shot on the point with flies on droppers above, or place shot on the line, somewhere above a point fly. Curious as to which you think gives a more natural drift?
I put my bottom nymph on a dropper with 10 inches of tippet left below for my shot.I put an overhand knot below & another overhand knot above the shot.This stops yours split shot sliding off.Also creates a week spot in the main line above the shot.When you do get stuck bad enough you need to break-off.The line breaks at the shot or knot above & you are normally left with still having your fly.It's surprising you hardly lose shot either.I lose more flies to trees than the bottom of the river(when tired & careless)I more often fish a single fly these days.Hardly ever get a tangle with a single fly on the drop shot.Think you get a better drift anyway with a single fly.

rabmax

Natural drift.I reckon i catch just as many with drop shot.But when fish are responding to your fly on the swing at the end of the drift.I then switch back to euronymphing.Not positive but think it lifts towards the surface better on the swing.Just because i am fishing drop shot.I don't always use lots of weight & dredge the bottom.I fish from the top down.Do that with euronymphing too

Last edited:

rabmax

If you are fishing upland streams & peat stained.The fish won't be overly fussy. They are probably heavily dependent on terrestrial insects.You wouldn't go wrong with Stewart's black spider'Peacock & black.My two best patterns are the black magic nymph & micro mop flies in cream or chartreuse.I do like adding hot orange or chartreuse glo-brite tags to some of my black magic nymphs.These slay everywhere in Scotland especially the black magic.I will often use a 2mm tungsten bead in silver or metallic pink when they want flash.The drop-shot works great.Just as effective as euronymphing.
Tied a few of these today to try.I ordered a mit called a monkey mitt of ebay.It arrived in a kind of orange colour.I am sure it will work in off colour water.Have caught big trout & grayling with pink ones.But cream & chartreuse micro mops are the best colours i find.Mop flies are frowned upon. But to me it just looks like a caddis larvae. Maybe head out fishing at 5am tomorrow. Haven't been fishing since I got home from work 5 days ago.My god the rivers are low.We haven't had any meaningful rain in probably 3 months in Ayrshire.

Attachments

• 20210713_185928.jpg
    20210713_185928.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28

LDO

Tightlines Rabmax - and thanks for all your advice - this is the very best of this site!

JCP

Some very good information online by Kelly Galloup.Suffice to say it works well.Unweighted nymphs.Most of the usual culprits work as do their reservoir cousins like diawl bachs and glue buzzers.Can fish it with a variety of methods.Under an indicator or Euro styles.It is without doubt a very effective method.

Latest posts