Fly box recommendations?

heathenwoods

A favourite, perennial question but I'm trying to find a single fly box that'll happily hold dries, spiders, nymphs, and maybe a mayfly or two. Nothing too bulky but with enough headroom for, say, winged flies. I'm looking at a Tacky Day Pack but wondered if there were any other recommendations? Tried Wheatley style and my fingers don't get on brilliantly with the little compartments.

heathenwoods

Still can't beat an old Golden Virginia 2oz tin of tobacco..... :giggle:
I gave up smoking when my eldest was born - nearly 18 years ago. But if I close my eyes I can imagine exactly what that smells like - happy days! :)

To be honest, I'm tempted by the Wychwood Vuefinder compartment/slot box. The Wheatley Comp-Lite (C&F do something v.similar - they both look like something I'd be better off checking the Maxcatch site for) also looks okay but the central 'lid'/divider doesn't look as safe as the Wychwood one. To my eyes, you have to consciously open the dry fly side to access it whereas the Comp-Lite style looks like the middle divider could swing open and drop your flies in the river. Well, with my track record it looks like the kind of thing I'd manage to do with it...

jimmcl

After years collecting various boxes, - and I have lots - I finally gave up using dedicated "fly boxes" - and swapped to these https://www.wilko.com/wilko-small-clear-9-compartment-organiser-box/p/0343101. At £2.00 a pop, you can load them up as you like, dries in one, nymphs in another, and they fit a pocket OK. perfect for dries, I use them for Salmon & trout now. Remember, anything that says "fly" or "fishing" immediately trebles in price.

mackiia1

To be honest, I'm tempted by the Wychwood Vuefinder compartment/slot box. The Wheatley Comp-Lite (C&F do something v.similar - they both look like something I'd be better off checking the Maxcatch site for) also looks okay but the central 'lid'/divider doesn't look as safe as the Wychwood one. To my eyes, you have to consciously open the dry fly side to access it whereas the Comp-Lite style looks like the middle divider could swing open and drop your flies in the river. Well, with my track record it looks like the kind of thing I'd manage to do with it...
Would one of these appeal to you. I haven't used these but I have a BG 68A XLarge Box and it's as well made as any.

jmac

what about something like this?
i don’t think you can get it from Orvis UK but if you search ebay, there are very similar boxes for bits of terminal tackle for carp fishers. And they’re cheap. Sorry I can‘t find the ebay links at present.

Mrtrout

A favourite, perennial question but I'm trying to find a single fly box that'll happily hold dries, spiders, nymphs, and maybe a mayfly or two. Nothing too bulky but with enough headroom for, say, winged flies. I'm looking at a Tacky Day Pack but wondered if there were any other recommendations? Tried Wheatley style and my fingers don't get on brilliantly with the little compartments.
I was going to recommend this but they've sold out.
i have no interest in the company other than having had one I can confirm they are a great dry fly box.
drop him a message, you never know.
S.

JayP

I was going to recommend this but they've sold out.
i have no interest in the company other than having had one I can confirm they are a great dry fly box.
drop him a message, you never know.
S.
That's what I use or is that used

4wings

what about something like this?
i don’t think you can get it from Orvis UK but if you search ebay, there are very similar boxes for bits of terminal tackle for carp fishers. And they’re cheap. Sorry I can‘t find the ebay links at present.
I think these are NGT boxes

Latest posts