Fly Fishing - Canal?

chopsmcgee

This may seem like a strange question.....or not?

But - I have been thinking of getting back into coarse fishing, something I have not done since I was 14 or 15. Mainly as there is a nice stretch of canal close by and it would be useful to thrown in the odd hour during the summer months next year.

It just occurred to me, could you successfully fly fish on the canal? For perhaps Perch, Pike or others?

I thought I would ask for your collective experiences......

Thank you in advance.

BobP

No reason why not. There is a lot of fly fishing for coarse fish these days and a canal is an environment where long casting will not be a necessity.

Shangerlad

look for the GUC perch thread page three, plus quite a few others on this forum. Haven't taken my fly rod down the cut yet,but moving walking distance from the canal in a few weeks,hopefully get a go myself. Also i notice they seem to fly fish for coarse fish more in the winter,why wait for the summer!

happy days

This may seem like a strange question.....or not?

But - I have been thinking of getting back into coarse fishing, something I have not done since I was 14 or 15. Mainly as there is a nice stretch of canal close by and it would be useful to thrown in the odd hour during the summer months next year.

It just occurred to me, could you successfully fly fish on the canal? For perhaps Perch, Pike or others?

I thought I would ask for your collective experiences......

Thank you in advance.
Have a look at EUangler canal pike fly fishing on youtube, couple of good vids on there

shropshire_lad

It may depend on the canal. I have the Kennet & Avon on my doorstep which is a rather lovely canal with plenty of perch, pike, etc. However, the stretches I know have a narrow towpath and then trees directly behind. There's no way I could get a cast out with my casting ability.

happy days

I always check the wind and find a stretch where its coming over my left shoulder for a right handed cast, so the line is in the air over the water kept away from me and the towpath

haddock78

Canal fishing is great, especially if it is one that has clear water and isn't too wide.

Roach and rudd on dries, or on the drop with tiny nymphs is great. It also removes the need for overhead casting as you can bow-and-arrow or roll cast the short distances. A long rod helps... You need to see the takes visually so long casting isn't that useful.

Even had a Tench on the tenkara rod!

glosterboy

I've caught Perch on lures and nymphs, Chub on dries, Roach and one small Bream on nymphs.
Failed dismally so far with Pike.
That's without really spending too much time at it.
If the canal is clear summer sport can be great fun.
Have a go.

vital

Dominic Garnett has, I believe, a book and DVD on Flyfishing for Coarse Fish. True, his local canal is down in the South-west where its clear and heavily weeded, and where he catches lots of fish species by simply stalking. I think he's also a tackle ambassador for a well-known manufacturer, and also writes for the Angling Trust, plus other features. You'll find more on-line.
Safe!

gordond

If you have bleak on your local canal you can have great fun. No need for a fly rod just a 'whip' and a length of heavy line and a leader.

That's how I used to get fish for live or dead baiting... But it was in Britanny.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

pikeflyfisher

I’ve been fishing my local grand union , opposite my house , I take a 3 wt 7 ft , use small nymphs and lures , i catch perch mainly small ones , get bitten off now and then by pike , lol , sometimes land them ,monster 4 lbers on a 3 wt ,lol , great fun ,nice just to get out the house ,

jerryrum

I was fishing the GUC the other day and it was actually clear!

The drop in temperature and lack of boat movement have allowed the sediment to settle.

I could see hundreds of small silver fish (I had headed for a spot I know is always a sure thing) and was able to watch the Perch chase and take my fly.

I never thought I'd see the day I could sight fish on the Grand Union.

Of course there were the ubiquitous shopping trollies and tyres, but at least I know where they are now.
gdgdg.PNG

pikeflyfisher

The drop in temperature and lack of boat movement have allowed the sediment to settle.

I could see hundreds of small silver fish (I had headed for a spot I know is always a sure thing) and was able to watch the Perch chase and take my fly.

Of course there were the ubiquitous shopping trollies and tyres, but at least I know where they are now.
View attachment 34286

View attachment 34286
Cold and hardly any boat traffic , did the same last year. ,

mr_eejit

View attachment 34286
Do you need a licence to fish the Grand Union?

Shangerlad

we used to fish the canal in the winter a lot, in the 70's and 80's often clear after a frost. we learned was the pike lay under the bank,tail almost touching, facing towards the middle. i won a few pike matches, casting no more than 8ft from the bank, also the clearer the water the darker the lure. black mepps or ondex best if very clear. might be worth trying large black flies. Must get back into it again,not sure if my 6wt would cope with a large fly and a wire trace. Havent chucked a fly for month's hopefully get out soon.