Fly Fishing - Canal?

William Hurst

This may seem like a strange question.....or not?

But - I have been thinking of getting back into coarse fishing, something I have not done since I was 14 or 15. Mainly as there is a nice stretch of canal close by and it would be useful to thrown in the odd hour during the summer months next year.

It just occurred to me, could you successfully fly fish on the canal? For perhaps Perch, Pike or others?

I thought I would ask for your collective experiences......

Thank you in advance.
[/QUOTEHi i Hi
This may seem like a strange question.....or not?

But - I have been thinking of getting back into coarse fishing, something I have not done since I was 14 or 15. Mainly as there is a nice stretch of canal close by and it would be useful to thrown in the odd hour during the summer months next year.

It just occurred to me, could you successfully fly fish on the canal? For perhaps Perch, Pike or others?

I thought I would ask for your collective experiences......

Thank you in advance.
Hi I fish the chesterfield canal for roach and Rudd with nymphs .

chiron

I regularly fish local canal for pike on the fly. Only problem is catching a rambler on the backcast.

MobyJones

I've cast my 5 wt over our local canal just to see how I'd do. I had a lot of roach and rudd on small dries. Perch on lures and nymphs and chub on hoppers.

There area lot of jack pike in there along with a few doubles so might try for those one day. The locals can get very upset about pike fishing during April to September though.

Shangerlad

I've cast my 5 wt over our local canal just to see how I'd do. I had a lot of roach and rudd on small dries. Perch on lures and nymphs and chub on hoppers.

There area lot of jack pike in there along with a few doubles so might try for those one day. The locals can get very upset about pike fishing during April to September though.
It was always traditional pike fishing started october 1st, a club i was a member of up until the eighties had this rule, maybe still have. Personally i love summer piking,they leap out of the water like salmon. Havent tried on a fly. Nice your catching,i can't go,got to keep my finger dry,managed to cut the top off gutting a trout!

MobyJones

It was always traditional pike fishing started october 1st, a club i was a member of up until the eighties had this rule, maybe still have. Personally i love summer piking,they leap out of the water like salmon. Havent tried on a fly. Nice your catching,i can't go,got to keep my finger dry,managed to cut the top off gutting a trout!

Many clubs do still only allow pike angling from 01/10 to 31/03.

I hope you heal quickly and get out soon. If you've not tried one before try a Savage Gear Suicide Duck or Fruck on canals. The takes are as explosive as you're likely to see. :)