Fly fishing cost and future generations

glueman

You obviously have no idea how the system works or at least did. You pay in all your working life then pop your clogs at about 66 when retirement was 65 the government in a win situation

This is how the system works. A 65 year old male has a life expectancy of 18.5 years. So the payout that the government will have to make, on average, is £170K, not allowing for the annual increases. Yes, you may die after a year and only get the £9K, but you might live to 100 and get £320K. The luck of the draw. You pay all your working life, but don't forget that only 10% of your income tax and national insurance pays for pensions. The rest is spent on other state benefits, education, the NHS, the armed forces etc. etc. etc.. If you pay £100 per week in taxes and national insurance, only about £10 goes on pensions. So if you have paid £100 per week for 55 years, that only comes to £29,000 - far short of the £170K you have every chance of receiving and the figure the government has to budget for.
None of it goes on your pension,national insurance is just an addition to income tax and goes into the general fund

anzac

Demographically, it is bad news for angling as a sport as more older anglers die off without being replaced in matching numbers from the young. Sadly, the new youth culture combined with the costs of angling and the fact that it does not provide instant gratification as a pastime do not bode well for this wonderful sport.
I can easily remember my grandfather's generation saying much the same thing about my dad's generation. I know my dad probably said the same thing as well.

That thinking is probably why my grandfather made a point of taking me pheasant hunting with him. He would often lend me a rod and send me off on a Sunday to fish the river at the bottom of the hill.

PaulD

No one in my family had any interest in fishing . . . apart from me. The cottage we lived in had a small stream / field drain run around the back of it, down by the hedge of the next field and into a tiny farm pond . . . I spent my childhood in it . . . or as my mother would contest . . . it was mostly in my wellies.

As I got older, I persuaded my father to take me fishing off the rocks near Falmouth, he got a rod too. When I was 15 I told him I wanted to start fly fishing , , , "Don't be daft, that's for rich, posh people!" was his reply. A year later, he was equally shocked by the expense of a half season ticket at the local reservoir . . . £7 10s! By the time I was 19 and had left home to go to Uni I'd made him a fly rod and he'd join me for a day in a boat when I was home from Uni, albeit he found a day in a boat fly fishing a bit like a day's 'hard work'.

Fly fishing isn't necessarily a family tradition, it does attract 'oddballs'!

JoeOh

Just booked a boat on grafham £40 for a 4 fish ticket and boat hire with my 12 year old neice for the day, bargain 👌 I would spend that in the pub in a few hours! Wouldn’t call that expensive
Boat hire (AWA) seems reasonable enough at £15 half day, £17 full day compared to the hire charge of a rowing boat or pedalo on London's park lakes (£8-£12 per hour). Silly comparison I know .
With fishing day ticket , just over £3 per hour in the summer months.
Bicycle hire at the reservoirs around £24 per day.
Both reasonable compared to an afternoon in the pub..

Rob Edmunds

I would say that at this time of year your better off on the bank at Grafham.

The majority of the fish are from the bank to 50m out, boats struggle to get in close enough with the amount of bank anglers about.

As has been said, in comparison it's good value and for me more relaxing than most other leisure activities....

Apparently shopping is a leisure activity/hobby now....

beetlebum

The majority of the fish are from the bank to 50m out, boats struggle to get in close enough with the amount of bank anglers about.

As has been said, in comparison it's good value and for me more relaxing than most other leisure activities....

Leisure activity?! Tackle shopping yes...food shopping most definitely not😂

micka

I can easily remember my grandfather's generation saying much the same thing about my dad's generation. I know my dad probably said the same thing as well.

That thinking is probably why my grandfather made a point of taking me pheasant hunting with him. He would often lend me a rod and send me off on a Sunday to fish the river at the bottom of the hill.
Hi Anzac and Paul D,

I don't want to lose sight of so many of the positives in this thread and Rob's offer to help youngsters and their parents at the waterside is altruism at it's very best.

But speaking empirically I could name 5 clubs reasonably local to me, three I'm a member of, who year on year are worried about sustaining their membership. Some have had to let waters go to balance the books. Others are offering membership without joining fees. All are asking existing members to promote the club to their friends, some offering financial incentives if a friend subsequently joins. Also pre-Covid when I attended club AGM's one sees a sea of grey heads interspersed with bald ones - i.e. mainly people of my generation, with thankfully some younger anglers and some female anglers - but not enough to compensate those who become unfit or pass away. It's not hyperbole imho to say that fly fishing in the main is an ageing sport.

But loving this sport as I do I take my nephews out to the local pike water. Or, if we are all on holiday together I always take extra rods for them to fish, whether it be in a little carp lake in France or in the sea for mackerel or whatever. But it is a very different world to my boyhood with many, many other things, sadly some of them very sedentary, to absorb young people today.

Mick

anzac

G'day Mick. There's no denying that are clubs hurting financially and face dwindling memberships. There isn't any comfort in knowing that the local golf or tennis club is facing the same issues for an Angling club's board members. Yet, it's seemingly the state of things for all manner of clubs. My impression is that society for a large part has little interest in belonging to organisations, and prefers a more 'solo' lifestyle.
Sadly, that means those of us who are 'joiners', and the organisations and clubs to which we belong end up losing out if I'm right.

Overmiwadrers

I think Covid has achieved something in that many are either taking up fly fishing or returning to it. I chair a local club and the membership waiting list is now longer than it ever has been . Another local club has a full membership for the first time in very many years. Cost wise up ere in North Yorks there are many clubs that dont appear on the internet and have full membership with waiting lists. Costs wise they are low from £50 a year to £150 a year for trout and grayling fishing . Personally I believe gear is cheaper now than it ever has been. Fishing costs havent increased much either. Sure there are exclsuive clubs that are pricey but there is decent fishing out there for not much at all.

O M W

glueman

I think Covid has achieved something in that many are either taking up fly fishing or returning to it. I chair a local club and the membership waiting list is now longer than it ever has been . Another local club has a full membership for the first time in very many years. Cost wise up ere in North Yorks there are many clubs that dont appear on the internet and have full membership with waiting lists. Costs wise they are low from £50 a year to £150 a year for trout and grayling fishing . Personally I believe gear is cheaper now than it ever has been. Fishing costs havent increased much either. Sure there are exclsuive clubs that are pricey but there is decent fishing out there for not much at all.

O M W
I believe C&L membership is around a grand

Overmiwadrers

I believe C&L membership is around a grand
Blimey it must be amazing , I am in one club that has several miles of pristine wild spring fed river with Wild brown trout to two pounds and Grayling to well over two and that costs me £50 a year ....So for a Grand it must be mind blowing....

O M W

glueman

Blimey it must be amazing , I am in one club that has several miles of pristine wild spring fed river with Wild brown trout to two pounds and Grayling to well over two and that costs me £50 a year ....So for a Grand it must be mind blowing....

O M W
Never been a member to expensive it is about another grand joining fee

eddleston123

O M W

A grand is reasonable value considering that includes a personal female topless gillie. There's no fish in the water, but strangely enough there is a long waiting list!

Douglas

glueman

Blithfield just checked the website,it is £750 joing fee and £1100 per year as long as you can get an upstanding member of society to vouch for you or an existing member. Not in my League

craigluscar

Showing my age I guess and feeling nostalgic but remember fishing 2 a week for pleasure and comps every other weekend.
I earned considerably less then but seemed to be able to afford it. Granted didn't have the expensive gear I have now.

Anyway in 40s now and realised sadly that just fish dates of comps now. Frankly because of the costs involved in hiring a boat etc. The break down something like £50 a rod ur lunch 5 fiver, car fuel 10 quid, tippet flies lost 10er Yes tie my own but even so. If fishing the bank ticket price halves to 25 quid. ( Will mention practise days of comps accommodation etc...)

But boils down to boat day is £75 and bank £50.

The cost of fishing the same amount of times back in my twenties at today's prices would be like 600 quid a month that's quite a chuck of disposable income to have much less the youngsters of today.

Very few places that I know offer the suggestion of cheap fishing these days. Its no wander there is a serious decline in fly fishing in general. The only way I see things improving is if ticket prices drop and offer more catch and release. Ie stock stays in the lake. Basically the more affordable the fishing means more anglers likely to fish and take a friend over the course of a season overall the fishery would be better off and more angling actually gets done.
Half the price in Fife IceJohn with GoldenLoch ,Carriston ,Lower Carriston Raithlake and Glen Sherrup Newton Fishery which is bank angling only has an offer on just now 6 hours for £10 !all within 40 mins single angler with boat will cost you less than £20. C&R most lochs are £20 for 2 fish and C&R after . Lake of Menteith is probably more comparable with English prices. Time for you to Head to Fife for a fishing Holiday

Oddball29

I would of fished from the bank but my neice enjoys getting on the boat and I find it more relaxing, have you any advice on a what method to use from a boat at grafham for this time of year? Any advice would be greatly appreciated 😁 also I had planned on setting her up with a bung and shrimp pattern as she can’t cast and she can literally float fish and flick it out every now and then, would that work or can you recommend a better way for a beginner? Cheers and tight lines