Fly fishing cost and future generations

eddleston123

You have only got to read posts on this forum over the last few years.

People throwing their hands up in horror at a fish being photographed lying on some damp grass.
Extensive criticism from the holier than thou about the way a fish is held.
Criticism re catch and release, etc, etc, etc,

There has been a marked wind of change over the past couple of years. This is escalating. It won't be long before we are all restricted to catching toy fish in a cardboard box with a magnet.

I am in no way criticising sensible catch and release and fish handling, but I can't see it stopping there. We are at a juncture were anglers are now beginning to wonder if we should be fishing at all!!

As I have said in previous post - give it 10 - 15 years and the sport will be dead in the water!

Douglas

Last edited:

ohanzee

A rare agreement. Tackle tarts can spend, spend, spend, whatever the hobby, fishing is still relatively cheap.

I'm still stuck in NI and a lad i was chatting to said the golf clubs were reducing joining fees and season memberships. Cycling was taking people away from golf clubs.

There's a quarry just round the corner that is full of mountain bikers on the weekends, a fair few of them, older gals and gents, on battery assisted.

A few months back a cycle club had a road time trial set up the start/finish pits just outside our site. Looking around that the average cost of bicycle would be about £5,000. The posh ones with turbo trainers and track bikes, van and 4 sets of wheels are on for £30k of kit.

Fishing is cheap but my thought is the blood sport aspect has put kids off, even if c&r. Also as said above, kids are given phones and playststions and can amuse themselves indoors, whereas when i was a nipper it was out the house at sunrise, back for lunch, and home in time for dinner, none of the worrying about being out of sight.

I'd argue that cycling can also be as cheap or expensive as you want to make it, if you know what you are looking for you can find professional level serviceable second hand kit on ebay for Maxcatch prices.

The problem is not how little you could do it for, its looking at any activity and not buying a load of gear because it feels nice.

eddleston123

Never seen one in my life, are you sure they are not just on social media making a wee fuss?

Yes, you are right - They are not a group of people who patrol river and loch banks with bright coloured tops displaying the Anti message.

It is much more subtle than that - it is a culture which is being taught to the new generation. Already, it is not cool to fish. I know that from the feedback that I get from people when I tell them that I fish.

There is a growing swell of Antis nowadays in one form or the other. It is now present on this forum albeit in a dumbed down form, but it is there and growing.

If I was to explain to them that should fishing for wild fish be stopped the population of wild fish would be wiped out overnight due to the fact that anglers would no longer be there to protect them and look after their interests,, they would continue to spout the singular 'cruel' argument, whilst chomping away on a fish supper from the chippie on the high street!

10 - 15 years - I stick by that.

Douglas

lipslicker

I think fishing has always been predominantly a 'sport' for the older gentleman, hasn't it?
People in the late teens and to mid-thirties are too busy chasing work or skirt, no?

Ideally, you get introduced to it in your early teens and then come back to it later, when you get bored of the wife, your kids are driving you nuts and you get more satisfaction from mental well-being than adrenaline rushes.

Money - I don't know, but like others I would observe it is amazing what the young can find the money for. Trips to Ibiza, binge drinking in nightclubs, video games, music downloads, iPads, £800 phones on contracts.

Access - I think this is a bigger issue - in many spots there simply isn't the chance to fish decent places. Young generally live in cities, and it is a royal pain in the butt owning a car in town.

beetlebum

I don't know that this is a problem that can be solved easily I'm afraid. The last couple of clubs that I have been a member in have had and average age well north of 60, I am considered a youngster at 37. There is nothing wrong with this at all and it makes sense that the majority of members will be retired folks with the time and money to enjoy our pastime. I guess it comes back to what many have mentioned already, kids these days lead very different lives to how many of us grew up, the attraction of games consoles and screen time isn't something any of us had to contend with. I think that all we can do is to offer to take people with us and hope to show them what is is that makes us so obsessed with fishing.

loxie

I don't know that this is a problem that can be solved easily I'm afraid. The last couple of clubs that I have been a member in have had and average age well north of 60, I am considered a youngster at 37. There is nothing wrong with this at all and it makes sense that the majority of members will be retired folks with the time and money to enjoy our pastime. I guess it comes back to what many have mentioned already, kids these days lead very different lives to how many of us grew up, the attraction of games consoles and screen time isn't something any of us had to contend with. I think that all we can do is to offer to take people with us and hope to show them what is is that makes us so obsessed with fishing.
In my experience the vast majority of people who take up angling do so after been taken fishing by a friend or family member. By far the biggest barrier to entry is knowing another angler who is prepared to take them in the first place followed by having someone to go with later.

BobP

In my experience the vast majority of people who take up angling do so after been taken fishing by a friend or family member. By far the biggest barrier to entry is knowing another angler who is prepared to take them in the first place followed by having someone to go with later.

This is exactly the result of the research carried out by the EA some15 years or more ago.

Another major stumbling block that arose at that time was the requirement to have angling coach qualifications, 1st Aid qualification and a criminal records check. This deterred just about all those senior anglers in a club who, up till then, had run junior sections.

The angling coach qualification deterred many who felt themselves educationally challenged by the paperwork involved and especially by the requirement to do a presentation as part of the course. Very many people do not like speaking in public even on a subject about which they are familiar. I'm lucky - that doesn't bother me and in fact I rather enjoy it, but many hate and fear it and are afraid of appearing stupid.

ejw

Historically the Anti's win ? Whether you agree or not with the various activities that have gone, or are in trouble. In most cases, that they were / are "Minority" sports that were "isolated" and left unsupported.
Angling in general has been targeted for many years, but because of its large numbers, has so far survived. At least 2020 has seen a small revival in numbers, that may help in the future.
Think 1st ? These were all "sports" that were / are, targeted -

Fox hunting - classed as elitist and cruel, but foxes do need to be "controlled".

Hare coursing - Poor mans fox hunting ?

Pistol shooting - Minority sport, but imposed and no realistic compensation given, only alternative, store them abroad ! (Blame Dunblaine) . For many years our Olympic Team have had to travel to France for "practice", at a cost !

Bow hunting - No wildlife to be hunted in this country, due to targeted negative publicity - there were only two clubs in the country that did hunt and these were not supported by "other" sporting groups, divide and conquer ?

Game shooting - Lots of "anti's try to disrupt organised days. Targeted wilful damage to pens and equipment.

Duck / waterfowl hunting - a Ban on lead shot for shotguns for any of these or for use near water. Replacements were all more expensive and in the case of Steel shot, a poor substitute. Bismuth was the best at the time, but 10x more expensive - isolate by expense.

Guns in general - Since Hungerford, a lot more difficult to get a licence and renew, again cost have gone up - read posts on renewals.

Fishing !!! Targeted by Anti's over many years, from physical and verbal abuse to throwing rocks at floats or wading through fishing areas.

Canoeing ! The deliberate, focused agenda by the Canoe Union to gain "free access" for all, pitting one group against another - Bad for both .

There are many other examples. In a lot of cases the Anti's agenda is formed by mis information. The best environmental police are those that "use" the countryside. Unfortunately a lot of the Anti's are made up of idealistic people who do not realise their impact on the land and it's wildlife -
I give you "The MInk" !!! Released by Idealistic Idiots, who have caused decades of environmental mayhem.
No answers to this issue but as posted, unless we are ALL vigilant in 10 to 15 years, it will be illegal to fish !

Paul_B

We have mixed age groups on our clubs water as its reasonable priced, and this makes it affordable for the younger generation to fish and take the kids fishing, as well as pay a mortgage/rent and feed the family.
Most Yorkshire rivers are the same.

anzac

Posts 115 and 116 above both suggest that government regulation and interference is a contributing factor.

glueman

Yes, you are right - They are not a group of people who patrol river and loch banks with bright coloured tops displaying the Anti message.

It is much more subtle than that - it is a culture which is being taught to the new generation. Already, it is not cool to fish. I know that from the feedback that I get from people when I tell them that I fish.

There is a growing swell of Antis nowadays in one form or the other. It is now present on this forum albeit in a dumbed down form, but it is there and growing.

If I was to explain to them that should fishing for wild fish be stopped the population of wild fish would be wiped out overnight due to the fact that anglers would no longer be there to protect them and look after their interests,, they would continue to spout the singular 'cruel' argument, whilst chomping away on a fish supper from the chippie on the high street!

Douglas
Not as sure where it happened but a lady angler was pushed into a river and her rod broken by a group of antis

ohanzee

Douglas

I don't recall fly fishing ever being cool, when I was young motorbikes were cool, then cars, then girls, in fact pretty much anything was cooler than fly fishing, maybe I didn't lead a sheltered enough life, I'd say fishing is as uncool today as it was when I was young.

I don't see much change, I can go fishing on the first river I fished and the run into the same number of fly fishers at roughly the same age they were then, they even say their are less fish than there used to be like they did back then too.

I also don't agree that wild fish would be wiped out or that anglers protect them, I don't see that, and I'm sure trout would be happier without anglers.

Never met an anti either, I imagine I would share many views there, I too don't like animals to be harmed and I'm probably just as ignorant round the fringes of that as they are, I'm not going to start eating fish alive so I'd be interested in their solutions there.