Fly fishing desert

pedros

So, with Cheshire West now in tier 4, the Welsh border 'closed', and with local rivers dangerously high (although the Grayling spots are all in Wales too) I've realised that I am now living in a fly fishing desert. There are also no fly stillwaters in Cheshire West that I know of any more either. Drastic measures in that I've just googled 'drop shotting for perch' and visited the local Go Outdoors for some tiny rubber lures - I do have a canal!

smallmouth

I’m similarly stuffed, my local river has been too high for the entire fortnight I’ve booked off, it’ll be full of snowmelt next.

My local day ticket reservoir’s closed, I think the local small stillwater is open and has bailed me out from Yule holiday cabin fever several times in the past.

I also have a canal just a mile down the road. A few years ago a winter league I competed in booked some of the matches on a stretch just on the edge of town. The fishing was pretty good with fair roach nets on bloodworm/joker or bread punch.

However after fishing two matches besieged by folks being towed by lethal bull breed crosses whilst swigging cans of wife beater, punctuated by various surreal characters straight out of a Hieronymus Bosch painting or David Lynch film, we unanimously voted to switch venues for health & safety reasons......

original cormorant

So, with Cheshire West now in tier 4, the Welsh border 'closed', and with local rivers dangerously high (although the Grayling spots are all in Wales too) I've realised that I am now living in a fly fishing desert. There are also no fly stillwaters in Cheshire West that I know of any more either. Drastic measures in that I've just googled 'drop shotting for perch' and visited the local Go Outdoors for some tiny rubber lures - I do have a canal!
How are Go Outdoors exempt from tier 4 regs?

G

GEK79

I’m similarly stuffed, my local river has been too high for the entire fortnight I’ve booked off, it’ll be full of snowmelt next.

My local day ticket reservoir’s closed, I think the local small stillwater is open and has bailed me out from Yule holiday cabin fever several times in the past.

I also have a canal just a mile down the road. A few years ago a winter league I competed in booked some of the matches on a stretch just on the edge of town. The fishing was pretty good with fair roach nets on bloodworm/joker or bread punch.

However after fishing two matches besieged by folks being towed by lethal bull breed crosses whilst swigging cans of wife beater, punctuated by various surreal characters straight out of a Hieronymus Bosch painting or David Lynch film, we unanimously voted to switch venues for health & safety reasons......
Good choice.. Interesting fishing tho.. 👍👍

smallmouth

The small stillwater isn’t going to bail me out, with temperatures not rising above freezing for the last few days, it’s now got a lid on it..........

Jason 70

The pleasures of urban fishing, even though most of us are in tier 4 now I don't think I'll get away with travelling 20/40 miles for my river Pike and Perch fishing so I'm staying local. I bumped into a nice guy the other week who sometimes posts on here, he went upstream and I went down after a chat. The number of bull breeds running about off the lead made me keep looking over my shoulders. Now I owned a Staffie, he was put to sleep owing to old age ten years last April. And I know they can be "excitable" to put it mildly. I ended up walking home, grabbing my waders and sodding off a few miles downstream. It's no fun constantly looking over your shoulder. So I understand your sentiments. Where I fish for Pike and Perch, it's like stepping back in time and you're more likely to be savaged by "Tricky Woo".

smallmouth

Why someone living in an urban environment would want to own a truly redundant dog breed like a Pit or American bulldog, capable of devouring half a bullock a week, is a mystery to me.

However I owned and was around working dogs for a lot of my life, so the dogs don’t usually worry me. But some of the owners though...........

Latest posts