Fly fishing for coarse fish.

richard859

With the game season due to end soon, I wondered if anyone has done any fly fishing for coarse fish, with bait, like maggots?

I'm thinking of the options available, does anyone have any thought's?

I don't want to put the fly rod away too soon?

arjxh56

I quote..... "I wondered if anyone has done any fly fishing for coarse fish, with bait, like maggots?"

Fly fishing for course fish is one thing.... Fishing with your fly rod/line but using bait is another! :eek:

prepare yourself for an ear bashing! :eek:mg:

Last edited:

richard859

I don't see much difference between fishing for roach, chub, carp etc with coarse fishing gear, that with a fly rod. So cannot see why anyone would have a problem with it. It's just the tackle that different!!

My passion is with useing a fly rod. I would not be fishing for trout, or grayling.

It's just my river would be closed, as it's a game river. But plenty of others are open, as well as small ponds and lakes.

I think it would be great fun catching roach for example on a 3# brook rod in winter from a small lake. Better than sitting at home watching TV?

shrek

I wont think you will have much luck with maggots as a bait and a fly rod, the casting action will rip them from the hook, why not tie some maggot type flies and try that instead?

brifly

9ft 5wt rod, small spinning reel, 8lb line to a small swivel, 4lb hooklength, size 12 hook and a nice fat lobworm in a fining-down river........ Priceless!

arjxh56

There is no problem targeting course fish with your fly fishing gear. This is good fun. If you can tie flies that specifically pick up course fish, let me know what you have success with as i will tie some up myself. :thumbs:

Fastening maggots on the end is where i think you may as well hang up the fly rod and go ledgering or float fishing.

From your last post i am wondering whether your question is misunderstood?

Are you asking whether you can use your fly rod for course fishing methods, eg, float fishing, ledgering etc.. or are you actually thinking of fastening a maggot to the point of your GRHE!? :eek:mg:

Sunrider

Bait will come off as already stated.

Just use your normal flies/nymphs for course fish. They'll take them as readily as any trout and it's great fun. Get out now for some big chub/daddy action.

ey_tony

With the game season due to end soon, I wondered if anyone has done any fly fishing for coarse fish, with bait, like maggots?

I'm thinking of the options available, does anyone have any thought's?

I don't want to put the fly rod away too soon?

Good question.
The water I fish locally has a very mixed bag when it comes to fish species and although I fish primarily for the trout/sea-trout that are in there, fly fishing for the many coarse fish in there is also great fun and provides hours of entertainment when the trout aren't fishing well and I'll be fly fishing for coarse fish when the trout season ends as long as they keep rising.

You ask about fly fishing or should we say casting baits with fly rods and reels in the fly casting style - yes it can be done!
Before the invention of the fixed spool casting reels, normal gear was all most people really had but, it's certainly not quite as easy as casting an artificial fly and is a skill like everything else which you have to learn.

When I was younger we often took a fly rod & reel and fished brooks or small rivers for trout with bait and using maggots or worms as the bait with fly gear isn't nearly as difficult as is made out. I also don't see any reason why you can't fish for coarse fish that way too.
Of course, you may have to change your casting style slightly to avoid 'whipping' the bait off the hook every time you cast out which is easily done but, it can be done with practice and patience and on small or narrow river stretches, casting the bait that way is probably more accurate than with a fixed spool reel etc, providing you have the room behind you to make your cast or you fish it upstream while wading up the river.
Of course, if you really want to coarse fish with bait properly, then it's better to have the right equipment but have a go at using your fly rod if you wish..as long as you are careful, you shouldn't damage anything and very little to lose by trying.

Tony

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
I wont think you will have much luck with maggots as a bait and a fly rod, the casting action will rip them from the hook,

Maggots on hook wont come off if cast properly!!
Is a well practised method when seatrout/trout fishing!!
A fly tipped with a maggot or two is sometimes a killer.
Richard,
Feed up the swim with free offerings, and cast a couple of maggots in on fly rod, you will catch!
regards
bert

EXPATRIATE

Back in my youth in eastern South Dakota I often used bait with a fly rod. A live frog hooked in the **** on a medium sized bait hook and left to swim freely fooled many a large bass, walleye, pike or catfish and the action on a light fly rod was lots of fun, but now days it's even more fun to use the flies you use for trout as I've been taking perch and rudd when fishing for trout and also seen carp taken on fly.

D

Deleted member 8214

Many fly fishermen these days fish with floats (they prefer to call them indicators). If you were to float fish with a fly tied to imitate a maggot and then loose-feed you should be successful.

guest21

Use the google search at the bottom of the page and tap in Ultra maggot n worm-fly toxic evo. That's the one for you :thumbs: :D

Chris.

Nightwatchman

It's all good as far as I'm concerned but I found there are problems of presentation around fishing bait on a fly set-up, I tried fishing hemp for Chub and Barbel on a fly rod and it just didn't work as well as a GRHE. Particularly in winter when you want to get the bait on the bottom or close to it.

Myself I would either fish nymphs for Grayling, Chub etc or get the Aerial out and trot a worm under a stick float if the river is chocolate soup.

After all that, to answer your question... I should think it's possible to do what you suggest but that you might have more fun and more fish if you use flies on the fly rod (which work perfectly well for pretty much every species of fish) or bait on a float/leger set up.

shrek

as for using a spinning reel with a fly rod (if that is what the OP was hinting at) beware the nylon will cut a grove in the rings if used a lot which will damage the fly line.

weight_forward

beware the nylon will cut a grove in the rings if used a lot which will damage the fly line

I don't think that will be a problem, the main reason that snakes get grooved is because of grit on the fly line acting as a cutting paste. Clean nylon through the quides should be fine, I have loads of coarse rods that are years old and the rings are in perfect condition.

You can get a reasonable float rod and reel for little money these days, if money is tight then check car boot sales etc. Wouldn't that be a better option?

Latest posts