Fly fishing in China

oholi

Some beautiful fish, especially in 3 and 4 as oholi mentions.

Very enjoyable videos with a bit of commentary explaining the tactics which produced some great fish. Blimey, how delighted would I be fishing somewhere like that on a regular basis? Very.

Thanks for putting the videos up.
Thank you Delray for watching. Its mostly rather small fish.... But its wild... Problem is that there are occasional poachers there. But still, fish population is amazing.
Since i live in China, i dont have much opportunity to go to any decent fishing so when i do, i will try to catch as many fish as i can... I can go trout fishing maybe twice a year.... So i have to get most of if

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Secret Angler

Nice to know there are still some apparently pristine environment in China. Don't let that beard grow too long though.

oholi

YouTube

In this video i am unintentionally explaining how to be versatile and with just one setup cover most of possible trout fishing situations.
Dry fly, euronymphing, long line nymphing.... Its here....
Usually i hate to carry two rods.... I like mobility... So this is what i do.... I hope you will enjoy the video.
Comment it, share it.... But before all, enjoy it...

Tight lines

Vladimir

alibongo

Nice video oholi.
To dry your cdc tie an elastic band onto a d-ring on your jacket/bag etc, hook on the wet fly stretching the band, then strum the band, it dries your fly. Then you can use the tissue to blow your nose.

Ali

oholi

Nice video oholi.
To dry your cdc tie an elastic band onto a d-ring on your jacket/bag etc, hook on the wet fly stretching the band, then strum the band, it dries your fly. Then you can use the tissue to blow your nose.

Ali
Thanks, i know for that trick but honestly never tried it.
But i definitely need to try

dgp

A feast of fishing with useful tips -look forward to reading about your next trip.

oholi

Thanks... My next trips are not going to be nearly as good. I may try to get asian seabass, and some small masheer

JRT

Has anyone have experience - good or bad of flying into and out of China with fishing gear? I'm tagging on Australia trip to a China business trip so will have a holdall full of rods/reels/flies etc and I'm a bit nervous taking into China.

oholi

Has anyone have experience - good or bad of flying into and out of China with fishing gear? I'm tagging on Australia trip to a China business trip so will have a holdall full of rods/reels/flies etc and I'm a bit nervous taking into China.
They are same as any other. Airport stuff will throw your bags the same way as they do anywhere. As for security checks they may ask you to open and show what you have. So remove all lighters that you may have in checked in luggage. No knives allowed....
If its just transit through china you are fine if your bags are checked through.

Hand luggage is better without any fishing gear or rods.

They scanned me twice in mongolia because of couple of hundreds of tungsten beads.... I had to show those beads several times when entering plane around china.... But thats all. Once they see its my tying stuff and i show flies with tungstens all is fine.

Its pain in the a.. But don't worry

Cheers

oholi

Well one can never know
From china to serbia i had 7 rods in a large tube as my carry on luggage plus suitcase and it was fine.... On the way back i wasnt allowed to enter plane in serbia with just one rod in a small tube... Same company... They said i could stab someone with my rod.... Stupid rules which most of them even dont know. .

kevind62

Trust Member
Very nice! I am shocked you were able to find waters that aren't grossly polluted. I worked in China for a little over 2 years out of Chengdu and Shanghai. Water pollution is rampant all over the country. We were located on what could have been a beautiful river. Not only was it polluted but widely overfished. I watched the local fishermen with their fish traps pull in fish smaller than what you were catching and keep them for market. I'm guessing you had to go inland quite a bit north and west to find water such as you were fishing.

oholi

Very nice! I am shocked you were able to find waters that aren't grossly polluted. I worked in China for a little over 2 years out of Chengdu and Shanghai. Water pollution is rampant all over the country. We were located on what could have been a beautiful river. Not only was it polluted but widely overfished. I watched the local fishermen with their fish traps pull in fish smaller than what you were catching and keep them for market. I'm guessing you had to go inland quite a bit north and west to find water such as you were fishing.
Sorry for my super late reply

Yes, true, china is mostly polluted and rivers are fu..ed up... Every time i go somewhere i see someone poaching... Mostly with electricity......

These rivers are in central china.... North and west are also good.... Some places in the west are without people... I saw some videos of world class fishing there....

Chengdu is ok.... Mountains around it hold some iwana trout.... But guys keep it a secret.... For the reasons you already know.

Right now i am mostly into army fish.... Chinese version of masheer.... Beautiful fish.... And very difficult to get. Very cautious... I use 15ft leader plus 3ft tippet for it... And most of the time.... They swim away if they see my leader in the air.... Unbelievable fish.