Fly Fishing the Hidden Lochs of the Highlands

easker1

you have 2 choices go and don't tell any one, or contact letterewe estate Barbara Grant is the factor,there are many lochs some with and some without trout, some are preserved as they are let with accommodation,but , it might be worth it , there was an article in a fishing mag the other week about a couple of these lochs, easker1

ohanzee

Would that be Barbara MacDonald now?

Barbara MacDonald - Manager.
Letterewe, Loch Maree, Achnasheen, Ross-shire IV22 2HH, Scotland. barbaraletterewe@tesco.net Telephone during office hours: +44 1445 760 207.

From Grant to McDonald! there's a modern woman for you:)

sebn

Thank you both so much for the information. I knew i could count on this community to assist. I really really appreciate it.

Seb.

chiron

Off to Scourie in the middle of June. Been going fo 5 years now and love my week there great crowd in the hotel and great place to stay. Already planning which lochs to fish but not sure if I will get to the far one as a few health issues which have impacted on my fitness this year.
Anybody been there recently?

easker1

fished the peaty loch past the pylon , christened my new built rod with 2 half pounders and missed 2 more , Tollie hasn't fished well this year, up to now. but I will return to the loch where I had the 3lb er last season , :whistle: easker1

nic a char

Bandies...
As Einstein remarked, if you keep doing the same thing, why expect a different outcome?
ie if you keep catching bandies...
Hardie Part 2 - the watchers target the larger trout which are present in every loch/an, using binoculars before starting to fish - it works.
Fishing Loch Ruthven - usual good bag of 1/2-3/4lb trout - while we rowed to mooring, a 1.25 trout leapt fully 18" to take a dangling Green Peter - so tied up big Green Peters over winter & dibbled a lot = wild trout up to 2' long in various locations...

nic a char

Visiting a remote lochan I found 2 locals fishing mackerel strips under a bubble
They had a good bag...

easker1

even the "bandie" lochs hold secrets, as Einstein once said, I know lochans you could spit across, that hold some decent trout,our local Loch Tollaidh has delivered 10lb trout in the past, but the usual would be a 1/2lb,but it's a nice easy loch for a mornings fishing, easker1

ohanzee

even the "bandie" lochs hold secrets, as Einstein once said, I know lochans you could spit across, that hold some decent trout,our local Loch Tollaidh has delivered 10lb trout in the past, but the usual would be a 1/2lb,but it's a nice easy loch for a mornings fishing, easker1

Easy to get to maybe, especially for you but its a hard loch to fish without a ripple, always meant to ask what that strange narrow leg at the back is? was it a quarry in the dim and distant past?

easker1

no, it is natural , also it is quite a deep loch 85m. in one part, it has a small population of Char but not easy to target,it fishes without a serious ripple early on in the year, but the damn minnows are spoiling the ready rising, :fish2: easker1

easker1

A lot more recent than the Victorians, Andy. More like 30 years ago by the drop minnow "experts", easker1

shropshire_lad

Let me put another angle on it, I don't fish our more remote areas to catch bandy's, I can do that 10 mins away, I go to get lost in the vastness, wake up to a sound that is distinctly wild and leave my fate in whatever the weather or terrain throws, its a walk, rest and walk with one eye on bits of water that appear on the horizon, its the camp and discovering there is more luxury in having just what you need rather than a packed fridge, its also a slice of Bourach's coffee, a map, and the ambitious target you set yourself in the pub the night before, the people you meet along the way, a place that has something we have forgotten we need, the finding and the getting on with it on my own terms, something fishing once was and seems to be loosing, bandy's are just the ever present company.

Very eloquent. Did you see the rather lovely videos posted on here a couple of months back from a chap who fishes the lochs of Lewis? Most involve brewing tea and eating a banana - bananas seem to be in vogue on here at the moment with the "is it art?" thread.

I live in the crowded SE and am so envious of you folk living in the remoter, less claustrophobic areas with such fantastic fishing on your doorstep.

Bourach

A lot more recent than the Victorians, Andy. More like 30 years ago by the drop minnow "experts", easker1

Aye Derek. There was a school of thought in 70s Argyll that if you move minnows to a loch then they provide a good food source for the trout. Little did they know these very minnows would compete for the self same and limited invertebrate resources that support these fragile trout populations.

skyeman1

Aye Derek. There was a school of thought in 70s Argyll that if you move minnows to a loch then they provide a good food source for the trout. Little did they know these very minnows would compete for the self same and limited invertebrate resources that support these fragile trout populations.

Yes indeed, one of our best lochs frequently produced fish of 2 or 3 pounds......until the minnows arrived. Not worth a cast now, can only hope they don't find a way through the wee burns to other still decent lochs.