Fly fishing TV programme

BobP

I wish someone would finance another series with Matt Hayes and Mick Brown. In the past year I watched re-runs of the Great Rod Race and Greater Rod Race, so enjoyable to watch
Two good series, I agree, but more than a little contrived to make it more difficult than it actually was.
For example, was it necessary to go all the way to the west of Ireland to catch brown trout. Plenty of those in England. On more than one occasion they spent a lot of time catching fish they had already caught, eg tench at Horseshoe Lake. Also, the session on the Welsh Dee was totally contrived in that the river had obviously been stuffed with stockies for them to catch.

But for all that, it made for good tv that non-anglers could enjoy watching.

Vintage Badger

Who was in charge of the editing of Fishing Scotland’s Lochs & rivers?

It must be the worst programme the cut of salmon swimming was pinks, could they not even bothered to find some Atlantics?
I saw that too; an unbelievably poor choice of stock footage - I was half expecting them to pan round and show bears fishing them out!

Put it this way, I'd like to have been a fly on the wall if one of the production team had handed Hugh Falkus that footage for Salmo the Leaper!

JoeOh

Well that's that, 3rd of three.
Net missing again with two fish, and RG needs to obtain a cap that can assist his vision when playing fish ' into the Sun'.
A bit more man-hugging and some use of the mute button.
Spectacular place

esk

I enjoyed the fishing and the scenery. The lad Jim Murray was a likeable chap and not a bad angler.

Robson needs to calm down a bit. I'm afraid the shouty shouty and over emphasis on fish size was a bit of a turn off for me.

If fly fishing is where he calms down and chills out, I'd hate to be in his company when he's hyper.

Give Jim a series of his own.

Euan

Tangled

Watching with sound off improves the experience.

But you still see the no-net incidents, the grabbing at fish cluelessly and the fishing from heights that make it near impossible to land a fish. None of it with the comic clowning and disarming bonhomie of Mortimer and Whitehouse.

Made it hard for me to enjoy the location and fish which are spectacular.

davestocker

I was rather hoping that we'd see Robson having illustrated flashbacks to his his days of drink and drugs 'hell'. That would have been entertaining.

JohnH

As a non-salmon angler I did find both the lack of proper landing nets at key moments, and going at submarine-size salmon with single handed rods, a tad surprising. Still came down overall on the positive side about the series, though.

diawl bach

Had hoped to see RG's mate deck him when flings his arms round him for the umpteenth time, perhaps that's a treat they're saving for the last episode :cool:

JoeOh

Had hoped to see RG's mate deck him when flings his arms round him for the umpteenth time, perhaps that's a treat they're saving for the last episode :cool:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think last night's episode was the final one, 3 of 3, so perhaps no decking this time.
Agree with Tangled, he really needs to calm down

glueman

Did his lost fish not just "drop off", last lost one certainly did, as they were seen checking the fly.
All in all, I enjoyed the whole thing, lets hope the salmon arrive for next episode!
Lost a 25 lb salmon on the Verdal. The hook bent at the last charge down river,salmon gone

Elwyman

I thought the final episode was the best of the bunch, more fish catching action. I couldn't tell you what flies they used, no discussion at all.
The single handed rods looked a bit lightweight for some of the rivers and some of the fish they caught.....20lb plus. They need to buy a net and learn how to use one.

benisa

will they have a re run of the series with out RG in
would be worth seeing then