Fly line for small rivers

Fredmoore

I have just bought myself a new 3# outfit for the small rivers I fish,I bought a three weight single handed Spey line for this believing it would make things easier with wooded banks etc,howeverI find the line hard to cast until the running line is showing,which in most cases is more line out than I want,also I think it might be a splashier entry.Would I be better off with a different line/taper,recommendations welcome.

ohanzee

A shorter head will give you more weight with the shorter length of line.

Reactions: JCP

garrynic

Another vote for the smallstream, i have it in a 3# but also works well on my 4# rod

wobbly face

Plenty of lines supposedly for small stream fishing. Most will be weight forward profile to easily load the rod yet more than capable of doing roll casts.
It depends on your budget too. Barrio, Rio are 2 that come to mind and different price range to each other. As to a double taper, you get twice the life out of it. (y)

wrongfoot

I bought a few Pitsford Pirate 3wt double tapers and cut them in half. Works perfectly for small river presentations and roll casts. Two for the price of one if you only do short casts, but not so easy to find now at a good price.

Actually dt lines are better than anything else for roll casts at distance and IMO the only decent option for line mending at distance as running line doesn’t transfer the energy of a mend as well as the thick mass in the center of a double taper. Not so much call for this with modern short and light line tactics though.

Last edited:

Onnylad

Banned
Banned
If I was on a budget then this would be the 3wt line I’d use ....

nice delicate presentation is described and I know 100% the rod maker knows his stuff 😉

Fredmoore

I have the max catch single handed spey line,seems fine from a certain distance,it is just that if you want to make a short cast,say 15ft,the head is still on the reel so it is difficult to execute,this may e however,because I am @ fairly new fly fisher,so not very skilled as yet

Onnylad

Banned
Banned
I have the max catch single handed spey line,seems fine from a certain distance,it is just that if you want to make a short cast,say 15ft,the head is still on the reel so it is difficult to execute,this may e however,because I am @ fairly new fly fisher,so not very skilled as yet
Try and get out in the Garden and practice cast if you’ve got the room otherwise go to the local field and practice.. just remember fly fishing is and should be pleasurable.

speytime

There's no many lines that will load your rod at 15ft and give you a delicate presentation.
The front 18.5ft of the maxcatch shs has a constant taper the bulk of the weight is in the back 12/15ft, imo it's great for short overhead cast or longer roll and spey casts.
Just as a ball park figure your 3wt at 15/20ft will be around 3/4g if you weigh the same amount of shs and see what figure you get?
I would expect the shs to load the rod better at short distances, but the scales will tell better?

Al

murph

A bario small stream is a good line and you won't be disappointed. As Taff has pointed out though they are currently out of stock. However drop him an email, I did and he was able to sort me one out. This was a few months ago now though.

Failing that I'd look at a decent 3# line. My personal favourite is the Snowbee XS. Personally I wouldn't go for a 4# line as I think sometimes presentation can be lost when fishing a dry. If you don't quite get the cast spot on, and it's easily done when you rush to cover a rising fish it can land relatively heavy. If after trying the 3# line you still feel its not loading the rod till you have a little too much line you can take a slightly more barbaric method. Begin by taking the first 1ft of the line off. This will effectively move the head of the fly line up slightly, hopefully getting a better load of the rod. Continue until you're happy.

Just my opinion obviously.

Regards John

ohanzee

My pet hate is people talking about which line they like without any reference point, the Barrio small stream has a head length of 24', I looked it up, because it annoys me that much.

Al excluded from this rant:)