Fly line to leader

Fredmoore

Just received my three weight outfit from maxcatch,want to connect a new leader ready for some dry fly fishing on small rivers.The Spey line comes with a loop on the end,for presentation,would I be better off cutting off loop and connecting with a nail knot or doesn’t it really matter that much.secondly would I be better off getting a furled leader as it will be mainly dry fly fishing.

Tommy Ruffe

Needle knot 15lb Sunset Amnesia (5ft) to your fly line then step it down to 10lb (2½ft) terminate in a Perfection Loop. Add your tippet (3ft) to that matching the diameter to your hook size. Experiment with different lengths to suit yourself. There's simply no need for anything more elaborate.

speytime

I use a loop, with a furled leader, imho cutting a loop of to knot it, is a back step without any benefits?

Al
Just received my three weight outfit from maxcatch,want to connect a new leader ready for some dry fly fishing on small rivers.The Spey line comes with a loop on the end,for presentation,would I be better off cutting off loop and connecting with a nail knot or doesn’t it really matter that much.secondly would I be better off getting a furled leader as it will be mainly dry fly fishing.

Reactions: JCP

Secret Angler

Try using loops and see how it goes. You can always use a nail knot later, but you can't do the opposite. I've always used needle knots myself but may try loops next time I renew the fly line.