Fly line with two welded loops

hooferinsane

A Maxcatch gold floating line has arrived for me which has a welded loop both ends. Just wondering if people would remove the loop at the reel end and just then attach it to the backing with a needle knot, or just use the loop it came with to attach it to the backing. Just in case it ever came to a fish taking you to the backing, I can see a potential problem going through the guides/rings with the latter. Not sure what others are doing, thanks.

oscarthecat

A Maxcatch gold floating line has arrived for me which has a welded loop both ends. Just wondering if people would remove the loop at the reel end and just then attach it to the backing with a needle knot, or just use the loop it came with to attach it to the backing. Just in case it ever came to a fish taking you to the backing, I can see a potential problem going through the guides/rings with the latter. Not sure what others are doing, thanks.
Well, you could cut the loop off and attach the fly line to the backing with an Albright knot. But if you tie the backing directly on to the loop (using a Davy knot or whatever) I don't think you will be risking much. The chances of a fish taking you down to the backing in this country are remote!
OtC

BobP

Well, you could cut the loop off and attach the fly line to the backing with an Albright knot. But if you tie the backing directly on to the loop (using a Davy knot or whatever) I don't think you will be risking much. The chances of a fish taking you down to the backing in this country are remote!
OtC
There speaks someone who has never fished Farmoor! Trip before last I had a 6lb+ fish go well over 60 yards.

original cormorant

. Just in case it ever came to a fish taking you to the backing, I can see a potential problem going through the guides/rings with the latter.
I can't see this problem - many of us made a whipped loop in the backing end of the flyline before integral loops existed. If you don't have a problem with the front end of the fly line passing through the guides on your rod why would there be a problem with the backend?

hooferinsane

Went for keeping the welded loop in the end, now attached to backing with a perfection loop 🙃. Lots of differing opinion elsewhere on the net re this

speytime

I've tried and still have lines connected with various methods, braided loops, knots with the backing looped over it, my favourite is the coating striped off with acetone (npr) and a perfection loop tied in the core.
They all work fine but the coating stripped is my favourite however I wouldn't cut a welded loop to strip it.

Al

BobP

If it was me, I would just attach the loop to the backing. No complications, nice and easy

Unlike Bob P. I am never likely to see the backing with the size of trout that I catch on the river.

Douglas
Until one fine day that stray salmon or sea trout takes a fancy to whatever fly you are fishing and takes off downstream with you clambering over rocks trying to follow it. :giggle:

Paul_B

I tie the backing to the loop and as I don't want a bow wave at the front of the leader its that end I cut off to needle knot the leader, I'm regularly took down to the backing and its never been a problem.

original cormorant

I use a doubled bimini to attach backing to flyline loop to loop. Overkill for freshwater but good practice for when it's needed.
On factory loops I always loop to loop (sometimes looping twice) the leader or backing, for convenience if making changes and because it spreads the strain on the loop.

BobP

Really? Well, unless you had 2 fly lines (which are 30 yards each), the fish must have taken most of your backing line too!
OtC
I long ago took the advice to always have plenty of backing on my fly reels. 75 yards is the bare minumum, though I did once make the mistake of fishing there using just an 8' river rod and a smaller reel holding just 40 yards of backing. I slightly mistimed a strike on a fish which I was sure had taken the dropper fly when I was using two dries. There was a double hit and the fish took off across the reservoir. It stopped with only about a dozen turns of backing left on the reel; the closest I've ever come to being totally spooled. After that it was just a question of wind it back in. The fish was hooked in the tail, hence the double hit when I lifted into it. The only reason I was using such light gear was that I was not planning on fishing that day. My visit was more about trying to get one or two good photos, but the sight of fish cruising close in and one or two rising was enough for me to make do with what I had.

Since Thames Water took Farmoor 1 back into their direct management to run as a C & R fishery about ten years or so ago I have heard my backing knot clatter through the rod guides on quite a few occasions. I now have 100 yards of backing on all the reels I use at Farmoor and seeing the backing out of the tip ring by 10 or 15 yards is not unusual. What we are talking about is fit, reservoir rainbows in the 3-5lb class. A 60+ yard gallop is not as common as it was in the first two years of TW's management, but it is always a distinct possibility and one that needs to be taken into consideration. There have been fish up to 8lbs caught there this year, and I have no doubt that they led their captors a right carry-on.

Get a look at the Farmoor Reservoir Facebook page and you'll see what I mean.

Elwyman

I agree with BobP above.....you rarely see the backing but when you really need it you'd be cursing if the knot failed or it wasn't long enough.

speytime

Perfection loop in the core with a obligatory dab of aquasure for durability.
_20200712_220101.JPG
The best way to describe it is a backing to backing loop.

Al