fly parterns for Sweden

skipjack

Hi, I am going on holiday to northern Sweden end of July and August. Can anyone adivse on what are useful fly paterns for trout and grayling? Particulary dryflies..
Thanks

sewinbasher

I fished in Swedish Lapland at that time of year and found that basic midge and sedge patterns worked fine. F-Fly and CDC & Elk were the best but we also caught on czech nymph and streamers.

skipjack

Thank you Sewnbasher, I am new to using forums! Its the north I am travelling to. I fish similar patterns here in Ireland but I will make sure I tie some of your suggestions.

sewinbasher

Thank you Sewnbasher, I am new to using forums! Its the north I am travelling to. I fish similar patterns here in Ireland but I will make sure I tie some of your suggestions.
Lapland is in the north of Sweden (and Finland). The fishing isn't very much different to parts of the UK, the species are similar but some of the rivers have arctic charr which makes things interesting.

skipjack

Sounds great and I can't wait! We are spieces poor in the north of Ireland althought we have quite a few strains of trout. Looking forward to tring for grayling as they are not found here. We have some charr in the Donegal tarns but rearly see them above 6".

scaep

As mentioned before midge and sedge patterns are good. But all the flies you would use in UK for grayling like red tag, green tag, bead head nymphs, klinkhammer also mosquito. A fly that you will find in most Scandinavians' fly box is a Superpupa more often than not Yellow superpupa ;)

docsalmo

If you go to the North of Sweden (around and above Kiruna), then you can use large flies for the very big grayling.

I have used gurglers in 2011, which was a good lemming year. You could call it a dry fly because it floats :) Lemmings swim across rivers and are on the menu of trout and grayling.

Another good way to catch large grayling are streamers that imitate young fish. Like this stickleback imitation >> https://finestblog.wordpress.com/2012/02/10/fliegenbinden-horny-stickleback/. In fact, it can imitate a wide range of small fish.

scaep

If you go to the North of Sweden (around and above Kiruna), then you can use large flies for the very big grayling.

I have used gurglers in 2011, which was a good lemming year. You could call it a dry fly because it floats :) Lemmings swim across rivers and are on the menu of trout and grayling.

Another good way to catch large grayling are streamers that imitate young fish. Like this stickleback imitation >> https://finestblog.wordpress.com/2012/02/10/fliegenbinden-horny-stickleback/. In fact, it can imitate a wide range of small fish.
Not just so far north. You will find big graylings are quite common in all Lapland (Norwegian/Swedish/Finnish/Russian) and 4lbs grayling are not uncommon ;) :thumbs:

Latest posts