Fly reels

JayP

Fair question.

I like my line to get out from the back of the reel, as a result when fighting fish on the reel the line was rubbing on the composite part over the spool and the line did dig into that! This resulted in my line also getting destroyed... The line in question was an airflo 40+ floater, old generation (ie not textured)...

Is this post two days late???????????? :eek:mg::D:D:D

pati

I also forgot to mention that on my Airframe, the adjustment between the reel frame and the spool was far from perfect with enough "slack" for the line to get in between. I still remember of a male blue trout of about 2.5/3kg (more than a rare catch) that I spent a couple of hours stalking, managed to get to take my micro Montana nymph, and ultimately lost during the fight when the fish gave me a long run and the line was caught in between reel and spool...

Cap'n Fishy

... so what is a sensible price to pay for a first reel?

Ralph.

£20...

CNC MACHINED ALUMINUM FLY FISHING REEL 3/4 5/6 7/8 9/10 LEFT RIGHT HAND RETREIVE | eBay

Loads more of these Chinese CNC type reels with disc drags on eBay. There are dozens of designs that are within a whisker of each other - all seem to come from the same factory. I've bought a few of them and haven't had any issues. Not saying there might not be the odd dog among them, but I haven't had one yet.

Col

ed_t

Fair question.

I like my line to get out from the back of the reel, as a result when fighting fish on the reel the line was rubbing on the composite part over the spool and the line did dig into that! This resulted in my line also getting destroyed... The line in question was an airflo 40+ floater, old generation (ie not textured)...

Thanks for the answer. I see that as asking for trouble whatever reel or line you're using. A more conventional approach would probably avoid the problems you reported (and the loss of the big blue).

ed_t

It's an internet forum, not instant messaging. 2 days or 2 weeks, who cares? The question was answered and the problem solved as user caused.

If you want to buy a cheap, light durable composite reel, have no fear, unless you want to take the line out the back and over the frame... which is asking for trouble whatever reel or line you use.

So back to the OP a cheap okuma airframe in size 4/6 and 7/9 would give you a good starting point for lighter and heavier tackle.

pati

Well, I could see you point but the big blue was lost because of the slack between the reel frame and spool not my "odd" arrangement as to where I prefermy line to come in the reel!

So in response I would say: have no fear with going for a "cheap" reel, but given what s available nowadays I would definitely recommend one of the Chinese "cnc" aluminium reel!

About composite: not all composites are the same, I have never had any issue with my Loop Graphites!

Last edited:

Lewis Chessman

Thank you for thoughts and I am pleased you like my blog. I have not bought any fly fishing tackle at all yet. I am still at the research stage at the moment. I am trying to decide what to buy to start with. I am sure I will end up with more than one rod and reel to start with.

The first place I intend to fish is a one of the lakes at my favourite fishery where thy allow, encourage, fly fishing for the stock that is mainly fish no larger than 4-5lb. Fish include various small carp including a lot of F1s, tench, perch and bream, plus a few more small (ish) Fish.

I have no problem with buying second hand, once I have some idea of what is what. I think, after reading your post, that I should go for a light rod/reel/line setup. I was thinking of looking at the Shakespeare rods, mainly because I know the name from coarse fishing and I have one of their cheap rods that I have been impressed with.

Incidently, budget is not a problem, I just don't want to spend money on expensive tackle, until I know a bit more, if at all.

Ralph.
Hi, fishplate 42. I think I'm going to bow out now because I've never caught a carp in my life and have absolutely no idea what F1s are. :eek:
I think, though, that there's a big enough picture of what you need for other members with better experience to help you. Just a couple of thoughts, it might be sensible to start with ''what rod'' and match your reel to it as, for most of the time the rod is more important. If you buy from a shop then ask to try rod, line and reel together before buying, even if it's in the car park. If it's a good shop they'll give you the time to try a few alternatives and you can choose a nicely balanced outfit. All the best with it.

JayP

It's an internet forum, not instant messaging. 2 days or 2 weeks, who cares? The question was answered and the problem solved as user caused.

Well that sailed straight over your head then, bless :thumbs:

ed_t

Well that sailed straight over your head then, bless :thumbs:
Ahh, think i get it now... april fools and all that. "Bless"... are you an infant school teacher?

Latest posts