Fly stolen !

pikeflyfisher

Thought I share this ,
While fly fishing for pike had my fly stolen ,! Was fly fishing for pike a few years ago now using a 4 inch deceiver type fly with blue flash , had flashy silver in it , Anyway it was a windy and cold day think it was around this time of year jan, feb , Was at a local lake ,did a silly backcast trying to cast it to the horizon, and hooked a tree behind me , I pulled and pulled the fly was rapped around a branch about 10 ft above my head , snap , the leader broke ,left the fly glittering in the winter sunlight , Bo,,,cks , I thought , that was the last one of that fly I had , I know , I’ve got some ladders in the van , I go back to the car park ,get the ladders ,get the fly , easy !
10 min walk back ,get ladders , 20 min back under the tree , put the ladders up , What ! ,I looked and looked , where is the fly ? Lm going mad I thought , I was sure this was the tree , I knew it was the tree , but the fly had gone ! , I stood there scathing my head ,and as I looked up Into sky a few Magpies fly past , one with something blue and shiny in it’s grasp ! , bloody Thieves,Magpies,lol

BobP

So what does 13 magpies mean? That being the most I ever saw sat in a line along a rooftop.

wobbly face

So what does 13 magpies mean? That being the most I ever saw sat in a line along a rooftop.
I don't know Bob but I've counted 17 a few weeks back and my daughter counted 21 just last week, all across from the front of my house in tree tops lining the railway. They obviously don't know that social gathering are not allowed.

Perch@1

Thought I share this ,
While fly fishing for pike had my fly stolen ,! Was fly fishing for pike a few years ago now using a 4 inch deceiver type fly with blue flash , had flashy silver in it , Anyway it was a windy and cold day think it was around this time of year jan, feb , Was at a local lake ,did a silly backcast trying to cast it to the horizon, and hooked a tree behind me , I pulled and pulled the fly was rapped around a branch about 10 ft above my head , snap , the leader broke ,left the fly glittering in the winter sunlight , Bo,,,cks , I thought , that was the last one of that fly I had , I know , I’ve got some ladders in the van , I go back to the car park ,get the ladders ,get the fly , easy !
10 min walk back ,get ladders , 20 min back under the tree , put the ladders up , What ! ,I looked and looked , where is the fly ? Lm going mad I thought , I was sure this was the tree , I knew it was the tree , but the fly had gone ! , I stood there scathing my head ,and as I looked up Into sky a few Magpies fly past , one with something blue and shiny in it’s grasp ! , bloody Thieves,Magpies,lol

Yes pikeflyfisher sounds like magpies are to blame.

Fish safe away from trees and magpies, Neil 🎣

Perch@1

Trouble is sometimes the pike are near trees ,
i have since learnt to single Spey , lol ,no more catching tree fish lol
Yes trees can be trouble, summer months I spend a lot of time down local river.

The amount of nymphs lures spinners I've lost is Hartbreaking. But that's fishing live and learn.

Fish safe and enjoy, Neil 🎣

4wings

I once put a Christmas tree outside, fully decorated, so we could accommodate extra guests.
On going to replace the tree inside, I found all the tinsel strips gone and the blue/silver brush
tinsel decoration pulled out of the tree everything else was left. Magpies!
The following year we has 23 Magpies sunning themselves on the roofs, babies and parents,
so the tinsel must have been a powerful aphrodisiac.

Cap'n Fishy

... I stood there scathing my head ,and as I looked up Into sky a few Magpies fly past , one with something blue and shiny in it’s grasp ! , bloody Thieves,Magpies,lol

I've not heard of magpies using the things they pinch as bartering tools, but there are several reported instances of crows bringing gifts for folk who put food out for them...

But remember they will need to wash it down...

Maybe if you had tried feeding the magpie, it would have given you your fly back? 😜

codyarrow

The age has gone now, but years back every member of the crow families nest I come across used to have casette tape wrapped in them.
There must have been millions of chewed up casettes thrown out of car windows in frustration.

Perch@1

I once put a Christmas tree outside, fully decorated, so we could accommodate extra guests.
On going to replace the tree inside, I found all the tinsel strips gone and the blue/silver brush
tinsel decoration pulled out of the tree everything else was left. Magpies!
The following year we has 23 Magpies sunning themselves on the roofs, babies and parents,
so the tinsel must have been a powerful aphrodisiac.
Makes you wounder 4wings do they have a fly tying interest?????? 🎣

4wings

Makes you wounder 4wings do they have a fly tying interest?????? 🎣
When I bagged a brace of Rabbits I would always dress them out in the back garden and leave the "lucky rabbits feet" on the lawn and they would swoop down and snatch the feet but they showed no interest in footwear!