Fly stolen !

Cap'n Fishy

Most I have managed to catch a pic of in one place was 15... and a crow...

1462.jpg

I suspect the crow had done something despicable towards the magpies - and so they had put an armed guard around it.

While most of the time, I see them in ones and twos, there are certain days when they all come together for some purpose... fussing snd swapping places in branches, and flitting about and making a racket... like some issue needs to be thrashed out between them all. Came across a group doing just this a couple of weeks ago...

DunsapieLoch15Dec20_6518.jpg

They were up to something all right...

DunsapieLoch15Dec20_6567.jpg

DunsapieLoch15Dec20_6592.jpg

DunsapieLoch15Dec20_6600.jpg

Oldbones

Out fishing one day, left my snacks in a paper bag on the bank, heard a noise and a squirrel was in the bag stealing the cookies, later a man with a blooded face turned up with a fishing rod in his hand, complained to me that I was catching all the fish, he appeared quite upset about it, I stayed in the river and kept my hand on my halfpenny till he was gone, least the squirrel was entertaining.

Perch@1

When I bagged a brace of Rabbits I would always dress them out in the back garden and leave the "lucky rabbits feet" on the lawn and they would swoop down and snatch the feet but they showed no interest in footwear!

My doc Martins would do nothing for them, Ha Ha 🎣

Perch@1

1462.jpg

I suspect the crow had done something despicable towards the magpies - and so they had put an armed guard around it.

While most of the time, I see them in ones and twos, there are certain days when they all come together for some purpose... fussing snd swapping places in branches, and flitting about and making a racket... like some issue needs to be thrashed out between them all. Came across a group doing just this a couple of weeks ago...

Nice moving shots 🎣

4wings

1462.jpg

We rented accommodation in a villa in San Martin, Spain, my eldest son was only a toddler and his fascination with Magpies was surprising.
He called Magpies Cack, Cack Birds and the ones that landed in a tree in a field nearby always attracted his rapt attention. As the sun started to go down some thirty birds would roost in one tree in the centre of the ploughed field. Desperate to see more he begged to beheld up high, I lifted him up and stood him in the crotch of a dessicated tree. Big mistake, his feet kicked loose a big piece of bark and underneath was a Hornets nest. Exit stage left, rapidly!
Lovely photos.

sewinbasher

I used to be a member of the Rolls of Monmouth Golf Club and on one hole the drive takes the ball over the brow of a hill and out of sight. An increasing number of members experienced "lost" balls on what seemed to be perfectly good shots. It turned out that a magpie was knicking a number of balls before the golfers came over the brow and it was featured in an episode of Anglia TV's excellent Survival wild life programme.

Cap'n Fishy

I used to be a member of the Rolls of Monmouth Golf Club and on one hole the drive takes the ball over the brow of a hill and out of sight. An increasing number of members experienced "lost" balls on what seemed to be perfectly good shots. It turned out that a magpie was knicking a number of balls before the golfers came over the brow and it was featured in an episode of Anglia TV's excellent Survival wild life programme.

Did they ever find out what the magpie was doing with a load of golf balls?

There was some theme park or somesuch - might have been the Netherlands - where they had taught the local crows to collect all the dropped litter and trade it in for food.

Col

sewinbasher

Did they ever find out what the magpie was doing with a load of golf balls?

There was some theme park or somesuch - might have been the Netherlands - where they had taught the local crows to collect all the dropped litter and trade it in for food.

Col
I seem to remember that it was taking them to its nest, possibly as stolen "eggs".

On quiet days a friend that I played with used to take his boxer dog round with us. On several holes with water hazards the dog ran ahead, picked up a ball, usually mine, and dropped it in the water!

Perch@1

Cheeky magpie, s 🎣