Fly tackle shops in midlands

revo

Hello All

Just wondering about some bricks and mortar fly fishing shops in the midlands.

I remember visiting a great shop a couple of years ago, I think it was in Ryton on Dunsmore, just east of Coventry. Not sure. It was on or not far off the Fosse Way and had lots of very good flies on the first floor.

Can anyone enlighten me? I'd love to go back there.

I think both Bailey's of Warwick and W H Lane in Coventry do fly tackle

Is there one in Derby too?

Any others?

anith

I think the shop you remembered is in Dunchurch not far from Draycote Water,my nearest shop at the moment is Walkers at Trowell.

richardt3227

Lanes in Coventry still do a limited amount of fly tackle and fly dressing bits.
Baileys of Warwick don't do anything these days - popped in there a few months ago and found that out.
Fairly sure that Dunhurch shop has closed. I was waiting outside their door in queue for traffic lights and no sign that it was still there. There is a shop at Draycote reservoir but not always staffed.
I use Walkers of Trowell. Excellent advice and service. Most fly tying bits go out the same day by 1st class post.

heathenwoods

Nothing in Derby but I would strongly recommend Bakewell Fly Fishing (see above) but Walkers of Trowell is decent too. Bakewell also has an Orvis but they've halved the flyshop floorspace to make room for women's clothing...

Whinging pom

To add to the list just dropped on
Five minutes from the m6 motorway near Stoke on Trent
Really well stocked with some terrific capes and good range of tools and hooks and tippets .In a lovely old farm building in a small village
Well worth a visit .
I was looking for a distraction to break up the journey north today Glad I did.

Rob Edmunds

Draycote Water tackle shops have plenty of Sage & Reddington rods that you can actually try for a day before you buy ( no obligation)

Failing that Rutland or Grafham Water have good selection.

Black sheep

Yes I remember him he close down over 30 years ago if you mean the one on the Worcester rd
That’s the one, I was only a boy and I’d only been coarse fishing, I just went in for a nosey and was amazed by the intricate flies on offer. Kept returning after that

bobnudd

That’s the one, I was only a boy and I’d only been coarse fishing, I just went in for a nosey and was amazed by the intricate flies on offer. Kept returning after that
Some of those flies would have been tied an old lady called Ruby. Who had been trying flies from when she had left school at the age of 14. In the 1980's she was working for Taylor & Johnson of Redditch and I know Ron got a lot of his flies from them

mike fox

There’s some fly fishing tackle available at Fosters of Birmingham ( Angling Direct now). Here’s there website...

Angling Direct Birmingham Birmingham - Google Search

Bakewell Fly Fishing Shop also. Pete the owner very knowledgable. You’ve also got Orvis in Bakwell.
Nipped in to Bakewell today. First went to The fly fishing shop and he was closed AGAIN 4th time running. A note on the door says he would be back at 1pm ish after being out teaching. Not good for business that strategy.
I then went to Orvis. I wanted 5 items, 2 spools of tippet and 2 packs of hooks and a Drirelease Pullover Hoody. They had none of them in stock so they had to order from their web site.:(

Black sheep

Some of those flies would have been tied an old lady called Ruby. Who had been trying flies from when she had left school at the age of 14. In the 1980's she was working for Taylor & Johnson of Redditch and I know Ron got a lot of his flies from them
I dare say I might have never started fly fishing if not for that shop