Flyaking solo?

pipsull

Hi all,

I’ve done sea fishing from my kayak, both in groups and solo (while my partner scuba’d close by), but so far haven’t managed to get out fly fishing from the kayak.

Figured this would be the year, but I’ve discovered that my local water has a buddy system in place for kayak fishing, so you can’t fish solo from the kayak.

I totally understand the safety factors in play here, but am curious as to how the risk assessment goes for kayak fishing vs small boat fishing and why boat fishers are permitted to fish solo and kayak fishers aren’t.

Also curious if the same buddy system is in place in other parts of the country and what your experience of kayak fishing is.

I guess I’ll also have to look into finding a fishing buddy if I want to get out on the kayak this year (or ever)! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oldbones

Look up River piker on you tube, he has a few videos kayak fish for pike, and its by himself, I guess its all about the waters you fish and who controls them.

sofasurfer

I've watched a few videos about kayaking and fishing. What happens when you fall out? How do you get back onboard and what happens if you tire yourself out while trying? What about paddleboarding and fishing, anyone tried that?

pipsull

I've watched a few videos about kayaking and fishing. What happens when you fall out? How do you get back onboard and what happens if you tire yourself out while trying? What about paddleboarding and fishing, anyone tried that?

My kayak, like most who fish from theirs, is the “sit on top” variety, so you can’t fall “out”, only “off”, and it’s much easier to get back on than it would be to get back in a boat if you fell out. When sea fishing it’s not uncommon to fall off if you’re badly positioned in a swell, and I guess that could apply to lakes and some rivers too.
You can take a safety course (brand new when I started kayak fishing) that teaches kayak safety at sea, how to get back on, how to raft up if there are several of you, use of vhf radio, flares, anchoring and so on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rob Edmunds

I just go down the local river with my Kayak and fish.......no one has ever said anything

Come to think of it I haven't seen anyone.....rivers around here are deserted

Garyb60

I regularly use my paddleboard to access locations which are impossible by foot or even boat. Usually I anchor the paddleboard and wade as my quarry is grey mullet and they are easily spooked. I have also caught bass to 6lb in deeper coastal water on the drift, but that takes experience. I should add that I've been paddle boarding for 10+years and hold an off-shore yachtmaster certificate as I once ran a charter boat operation. There is a lot that can go wrong!

Cam

I used to kayak fish, on the sea, usually using sea rods but did occasionally take my fly rod out. It is a bit harder due to the reduced height. I would suggest that the kayaks are inherently less stable than a small boat hence the stipulation of fishing in pairs. As a matter of course all of the kayak anglers I knew always went out with at least one buddy just as a safety precaution

Latest posts