Flying Ant Alert

vital

The seagulls from miles around were milling about Southampton's skies just before the sun started to set, much higher than in previous years?

whitehorses

ive not seen any so far here, phew , they took up home by the side gate ,its just too sunny and hot ,usually there about when it gets a litte humid as stated above , last few years there was daddies everywhere ,during the evening landing on the wall but ive not seen them either

Gdog

There was a big fall of flying ants around our house on Tuesday. Our cat had a great time trapping them with her paw against the living room window, tasty snack high in protein. I haven't seen any since. It's been warm all week 22 to 24C.

vital

Vintage Badger : You've put me in mind of waiting nervously to be 'fired' out of the enormous 75 degree 'barrel' at the start of the Incredible Hulk ride in Universal Studios Adventure Park in Florida, and in the circle of bright blue sky above us three Vultures circled effortlessly. My thoughts were "Are they some kind of drones?" then "Maybe they're tame and trained to do that?" and finally "Are they wild, do they know something we don't?"

jaybeegee

There was a big fall of flying ants around our house on Tuesday. Our cat had a great time trapping them with her paw against the living room window, tasty snack high in protein. I haven't seen any since. It's been warm all week 22 to 24C.
Hah. Salt and vinegar flavour..( maybe no salt ).
B

wjg

I find it is more a citrus taste, "almost lemon".
Can't wait for the ants to fly. Trout here go crazy for them! Usually mid- Aug around here but I think this warm spring and summer will have them flying earlier.

jaybeegee

Grubbing out weeds down the edges of the drive today, I disturbed an ant’s nest.
Among the thousands of tiny foot soldiers was a squadron of their bigger, winged
brethren that looked ready to fly…..they didn’t though, just scuttled about. Must read up on them; are they potential queens off to establish new colonies or males not of use to the nest?
B

Latest posts