Flys for night fishing? And how deep should I fish them ?

cammy

I would also suggest you wade the place you want go fish a good few times in the daylight, that way you get to know the wading line, in an out access from the bank,trees and bushes that hamper fishing etc.
Taffy is correct, when you are out it is surprising how much you can see and navigate without a torch. Most people won't know that as they tend not to be wandering about in the countryside in the middle of the night.

speytime

Some sound advice from cammy :thumbs:, fish the pool through the day you don't want to step into a hole, you'll also get a feel for the line required to cover the pool.
Get a wading staff for nightime it makes wading so much easier when you're shuffling around trying to find a clear area for your foot on the way down the pool.
Nothing fancy is required, a trekking pole/stick a length of hazel basically anything that you can get a lean on with a lanyard on it.
You'll find fishing in the dark isn't as daunting as you might think, best of luck

P. S get some silver stoats tails :thumbs:

Al

taffy1

Some sound advice from cammy :thumbs:, fish the pool through the day you don't want to step into a hole, you'll also get a feel for the line required to cover the pool.
Get a wading staff for nightime it makes wading so much easier when you're shuffling around trying to find a clear area for your foot on the way down the pool.
Nothing fancy is required, a trekking pole/stick a length of hazel basically anything that you can get a lean on with a lanyard on it.
You'll find fishing in the dark isn't as daunting as you might think, best of luck

P. S get some silver stoats tails :thumbs:

Al
If you are getting a wading staff make sure it's sturdy enough to support your weight & that the business end is well under the water, ie, the foot is well sunk. Nothing worse than a staff that's floating in front of you while handlining your line on a retrieve & then getting tangled up with your staff, even worse if you are playing a fish & have to use a landing net.

speytime

I've got a few fancy weighted wading staffs with antler and carved salmon handles but use my trekking pole on my local river the Tweed, Clyde and Spey without issue, I,m not into lugging a weighted staff around (trapped nerves in my back weight is my enemy)
I don't see the need for a staff to take your weight other than pushing down on it, i can lean all my weight on a cheap trekker and have done for years.
I agree with you about the staff floating it can be a nuisance but a trekking stick fills with water so floating isn't a issue.
Sometimes depending on the water it might hang in the current I just sit it at an angle against the current and that holds it in place out of the way.
The above rivers aren't deep wading if they were I might consider taking another staff.

Cheers Al

taffy1

Personal safety is paramount in any fishing situation. The advice of daylight expeditions prior to venturing out during the hours of darkness makes a lot of sense, which I would highly recommend. Hope you let us all know how you get on.

Overmiwadrers

I fish for sea trout on my local stream . Its a spinning river really but there are a few places to work a fly . and on a night the members don't usually bother , ok you get the odd poacher , fox, badger , drunk kids , courting couples , fly tippers , dog walker , camping holiday makers and otters but apart from that its quiet . Fly choice I use black flies high water large ones , low water small ones . Sometimes with a bit of sparkle . They seem to work as well as anything . I have experimented with some luminant bead heads , they worked amazingly well one night and then failed miserably everytime after . Good luck with sea trout they are very frustrating things to catch. If you get a wading staff make sure you have a rubber end on the bottom. S tell tipped job clattering on stones will spook the fish .

O M W

Last edited:

taffy1

I fish for sea trout on my local stream . Its a spinning river really but there are a few places to work a fly . and on a night the members don't usually bother , ok you get the odd poacher , fox, badger , drunk kids , courting couples , fly tippers , dog walker , camping holiday makers and otters but apart from that its quiet . Fly choice I use black flies high water large ones , low water small ones . Sometimes with a bit of sparkle . They seem to work as well as anything . I have experimented with some luminant bead heads , they worked amazingly well one night and then failed miserably everytime after . Good luck with sea trout they are very frustrating things to catch. If you get a wading staff make sure you have a rubber end on the bottom. S tell tipped job clattering on stones will spook the fish .

O M W
3 of my favourite colours for sea trout are Black & Silver, especially at night. Silhouette is probably more important. On a brighter night size is possibly more important, brighter = smaller. It works for me here.

Steven kermode

Great advice from everyone, thanks! I can't wait for next season ! Now to tie some sea trout flies !

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

speytime

Great advice from everyone, thanks! I can't wait for next season ! Now to tie some sea trout flies !

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Do yourself a favour and tie some 6/8s silver stoats tails, my most successful night time sea trout fly by a country mile.
Im confident if there's sea in the river a #6/8 sst will catch them.

Al

Last edited:

perdix

My favourite flies to start and end a session with, dusk to dawn, are a haslam on the point and a muddler on the dropper. Fishing deep depends upon the depth of the pool, will your sink 7 line have time to reach the bottom? Or are you going to be better with sinking tips? As for the fly obviously it wants to be large. Now I prefer large and fairly light weighted flies that swim on an even keel, tending to use 2" to 3" tubes with a wing which trails over the hook, giving a length of 3" to 4" but you can go much larger, 6" plus if you so wish. Anything black and silver will do to start with, then let your imagination run wild. Bon Chance!

LukeNZ

Was a big fan of invicta and butchers tied slim and long. Use either a streamer hook, or what I preferred for a better hookup was to add a trailing hook, similar to what we call an intruder style these days. Back in the day in the UK, they were called a Terror pattern.

I remember having a tying book full of the them, might have been called ‘Sea Trout flies’?, it was full of tandems and terrors predominantly. I think it was authored by a Welshman? Had a green cover, with an illustration on the front of a long. tandem or terror type sea trout fly.

It always seemed much easier to fish a tandem or terror type fly than a team of 2 or more, at night.

Have you guys tried mouse patterns at night? I was very sceptical about those, especially after seeing some very ungainly patterns in real life.. but then I tried it! Strangely effective.

bobmiddlepoint

Have you guys tried mouse patterns at night? I was very sceptical about those, especially after seeing some very ungainly patterns in real life.. but then I tried it! Strangely effective.
Wake lures (anything from a muddler to a wine cork lashed to a hook) are fairly standard for night fishing for sea trout.

Andy

Alwyn

I remember having a tying book full of the them, might have been called ‘Sea Trout flies’?, it was full of tandems and terrors predominantly. I think it was authored by a Welshman? Had a green cover, with an illustration on the front of a long. tandem or terror type sea trout fly.
I suspect that this is either James Waltham's book on Sea Trout Flies, or perhaps Moc Morgan's "Flies of Wales" which features quite a few sea trout patterns.

speytime

It always seemed much easier to fish a tandem or terror type fly than a team of 2 or more, at night.
This one?
_20200224_102403.JPG

Al