FNF Talon vice (jaws similar to LAW vice)?

bgooch

Anyone have any experience with Kevin Porteous' (FNF) new "Talon" vice?

As Kevin states on his website: "The vice jaws have been heavily influenced by the Law vice."

Cheers,

Bryan

pentlandflyman

Be Interested to see an unbiased review as that video isn't a review he is only tying a fly on it. If you're going to spend £500 on a vice you want to know what you're getting so I don't get the secrecy thing and the advertising stuff about nuclear grade materials doesn't do it for me at all. I looked at this vice and thought about getting it but my gut told me no so I went for the HMH TRV because there was plenty unbiased info out there and HMH have a very good reputation, they have built quality vices for a long time. The FNF might be amazing but if I built something that good and wanted to sell it at £500 I would have videos and reviews all over the place. Just my opinion on it.

4wings

Be Interested to see an unbiased review as that video isn't a review he is only tying a fly on it. If you're going to spend £500 on a vice you want to know what you're getting so I don't get the secrecy thing and the advertising stuff about nuclear grade materials doesn't do it for me at all. I looked at this vice and thought about getting it but my gut told me no so I went for the HMH TRV because there was plenty unbiased info out there and HMH have a very good reputation, they have built quality vices for a long time. The FNF might be amazing but if I built something that good and wanted to sell it at £500 I would have videos and reviews all over the place. Just my opinion on it.
Sorry but *nuclear materials* might put some people off (if the price doesn't)
"manufactured locally in Scotland using nuclear grade *machining* to get the tolerances required to ensure the vice functions as we desired.

jeffhirst

There's always a lot of hype to FNF products....I would like to see someone like Davie McPhail review it before buying...as soon as you hear the word Law it means expensive. I might add that FNF are usually good products but they always see marketing opportunities..hence higher prices!

Mrtrout

jimmcl a member on here makes LAW type vices, send him a PM.
5A514132-3A77-4DE1-86C9-AE57D147BC03.jpeg
DA2FD6E9-B865-4E4A-9F78-308023BEAB51.jpeg

noel

There's always a lot of hype to FNF products....I would like to see someone like Davie McPhail review it before buying...as soon as you hear the word Law it means expensive. I might add that FNF are usually good products but they always see marketing opportunities..hence higher prices!
Will a review by Lindsay Simpson do for you

gdonald1

I've got one of the FNF Talons, a belated 40th Birthday present from my better half. This is my first premium vice although i do have some experience with Stonfo vices. So far, i cant say anything bad about it, first class hook hold, full rotary and just very well put together. Comes with a lifetime warranty as well. My biggest gripe with other vices is just a small amount of movement, not in the jaws but where attached to the pedestal, or the vice head attached to the stem. The Talon is absolutely rock solid, even when using the extended stem. So far ive had size 16 dries up to 2/0 pike hooks with no issues. Agree its got a considerable price tag but im hoping this is the last vice i will want to own. Does it make better fly's? Probably not. But its a lot of fun using it!! Maybe not for everyone, but im very, very happy with mine.

len1

I've got one of the FNF Talons, a belated 40th Birthday present from my better half. This is my first premium vice although i do have some experience with Stonfo vices. So far, i cant say anything bad about it, first class hook hold, full rotary and just very well put together. Comes with a lifetime warranty as well. My biggest gripe with other vices is just a small amount of movement, not in the jaws but where attached to the pedestal, or the vice head attached to the stem. The Talon is absolutely rock solid, even when using the extended stem. So far ive had size 16 dries up to 2/0 pike hooks with no issues. Agree its got a considerable price tag but im hoping this is the last vice i will want to own. Does it make better fly's? Probably not. But its a lot of fun using it!! Maybe not for everyone, but im very, very happy with mine.
I ordered one the moment the sales went live. I agree with everything you say. Excellent build quality, great hook hold. Lots of adjustability ie. Extension piece for vertical bar. Tied about fifty flies from #6 salmon doubles to #18 dry flies. Rock solid hold. Time will tell but believe this vice will last me a lifetime.
Talon vices already sold out but FNF taking orders for the next batch I believe.

pentlandflyman

I ordered one the moment the sales went live. I agree with everything you say. Excellent build quality, great hook hold. Lots of adjustability ie. Extension piece for vertical bar. Tied about fifty flies from #6 salmon doubles to #18 dry flies. Rock solid hold. Time will tell but believe this vice will last me a lifetime.
Talon vices already sold out but FNF taking orders for the next batch I believe.
Are the jaws cast or machined ?

len1

Not well finished then ? For £500 you would want nicely polished jaws.
I was perhaps a little imprecise in my answer. The jaws are as smooth as a babies bum. The circular milling marks are on the base where the bead holding recess has been milled out. They are obviously done as a ‘pattern’.
46DC3782-273A-4CE1-9D99-9092ACE8FD74.jpeg

micka

You make a very good point. The problem about buying a vice is that unless you've say borrowed a friend's to tie on for a day or so, a vice purchase is somewhat a leap in the dark and some very expensive mistakes can be made. As all fly tiers on the forum will know our own "needs" vis a vis a vice can be quite personal and idiosyncratic. You know when it's doing everything right just as you do when it's not irritatingly letting you down in some respects.

For sure I find threads on the subject of vices quite fascinating.

PS I'm glad they use nuclear grade materials because though I strive to be tidy when I'm tying the aftermath does look like a bomb has gone off in a chicken coop!

Mick

Last edited:

Overmiwadrers

Could someone enlighten me on this . The LAW vice is undoubtedly excellent I have borrowed a couple to play on and they are good I even nearly bought one at the BFFI a few years back . But the price of them is more about scarcity and originality. Personally I think this “copy” isn’t cheap and interested that so many seem happy to sink a wad of cash into something quite unknown. What am I missing
O M W