FNF Talon vice (jaws similar to LAW vice)?

m r roid

All joking apart, this vice has the best jaws I have ever seen. The 2 halves of the jaws move parallel to each other, and they hold hooks from huge saltwater jobs, down to 24, and below.
It was designed by John Betts in collaboration with Ari't Hart, and made entirely by Ari. I think only 20 were made.....
IMG_20210127_080618.jpg
IMG_20210127_080705.jpg
IMG_20210127_080736.jpg

pentlandflyman

Nice ! Simple design, small and neat. Shame he did not do more.
FNF will have a copy out soon, made from nuclear grade materials by top engineers in a secret facility in Scotland and tested by the FNF cult and endorsed by Davie Mcphail (he is shown a picture and said aye that looks no bad). Only sold to friends and family of the owner and FNF cult members.

pentlandflyman

All joking apart, this vice has the best jaws I have ever seen. The 2 halves of the jaws move parallel to each other, and they hold hooks from huge saltwater jobs, down to 24, and below.
It was designed by John Betts in collaboration with Ari't Hart, and made entirely by Ari. I think only 20 were made..... View attachment 35226View attachment 35227View attachment 35228
Do you own this ? Never seen one before but I've seen other Ari vices and they are all works of art. Dont suppose you have a photo of the full vice ?

m r roid

Do you own this ? Never seen one before but I've seen other Ari vices and they are all works of art. Dont suppose you have a photo of the full vice ?
Yep, it's mine 😍😍
Ari is an old mate of mine, I bought the vice from a mutual friend. It's not pristine, but in very good condition. The last one I saw for sale some years ago was in worse condition went for €4350.........
Not easy to photograph, sorry for the poor images. The 1st picture shows it 'stowed' the 2nd setup ready to tie
IMG_20210127_092854.jpg
IMG_20210127_092831.jpg

pentlandflyman

I would love to own that, stunning bit of engineering and design. I would have that over the LAW all day long and it would be on display as well 😊 you are a very lucky man.

If it ever starts spitting hooks and you want rid give me a shout πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

m r roid

You'll have first refusal, but don't hold your breath πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I'm an Ari't Hart 'nut'..... As far as fly tying gear goes, I have 3 of his table vices, 6 travel vices, 17 bobbin holders, & 'one of a kind' whip finishers and dubbing needles. Some were birthday, and Xmas presents from Ari, others were bought directly from him, and other collectors.
Don't get me started on Ari's reels, I've close to 60 of them 😜😜😜😜
Ari is 86 now, and still designing, and making unique fishing kit

blithfield2

I'm an Ari't Hart 'nut'..... As far as fly tying gear goes, I have 3 of his table vices, 6 travel vices, 17 bobbin holders, & 'one of a kind' whip finishers and dubbing needles. Some were birthday, and Xmas presents from Ari, others were bought directly from him, and other collectors.

I could become your bestest friend in the whole wide world, if you asked me nicely

pentlandflyman

Do you have a photo album anywhere of the vices and tying tools ? I'm a bit of a fly tying geek and love stuff like that. he is a very talented man and you are very lucky to know him.

If I bought anything that expensive it would be my Mrs holding my breath for me, probably with her hands around my throat πŸ˜‚

fender77

Anyone who has it here who can chip in on what the rotation is like on the Talon?

I have played with a few various law copies over the last years, and all of them had some sort of wobble. Inn all the vises it was the same thing which is related to the fitting of the piece with the rotation handle/arm on and how it fits on the metal stem which goes through the housing.

The round stem that goes through the housing is square at the end where the part with the handle slides on. All had some minor flaws in the fit of the two parts at that point which made the use of the rotation a bit wobbly/loose for at least my ocd. lol. The parts didnt fit tight enough allowing the rotation arm travel a bit back and forth before the jaws on the other side of the housing started moving.

So hows the Talon at this point?

fender77

Its easy to find out. Tighten the rotation tension screw at the back to somewhat medium resistance. Then hold around the jaws with one hand and around the rotation bar/handle with the other hand. Move/rock it back and forth a little in the opposite way of each other) If theres slack you will feel it or even hear it.

Latest posts