FNF Talon vice (jaws similar to LAW vice)?

pentlandflyman

Don't know about the Talon but the HMH TRV has zero wobble, it's as smooth in rotation as possible. It's also a true rotary vice and the build quality is superb, here is a few pics of both vices and the difference in build quality is plain to see imo. I had a conversation with Jon from HMH about the jaws aswell after reading a few negative comments about them being cast...he put my mind at rest 😉 See his reply at the bottom of this post.

For approx the same price you would have to be nuts to choose the Talon over the HMH but that's just my own opinion, if you have bought one I'm sure you will have a different opinion and that's fine.

'
Screenshot_20210213-195637_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20210213-195740_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20210213-195955_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20210213-195911_Firefox.jpg
since you have had HMH vises before, you know about the strength of our jaws. I have no problems telling you that they all, including the TRV, have cast jaws. I thought the review in Trout and Salmon, mentioned the castings. After using castings for 45 years we have a good understanding of what is required as to metal alloys and the finishing required. The TRVs actually have a slightly different Alloy than the regular interchangeable jaws because in my past history of making high end target rifles. I used an alloy that will not chip that we used for making the rifle body from; a part you never want to chip!'

fender77

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated!

I have not seen a TRV in real life. Only custom build LAW copies is what I have experience with.
The TRV sure looks like a very good vise. The only thing that puzzles me is the big rotation knob which I don't like. It's probably very usefull, but it doesn't klick with me. But maybe I could get someone to make a knob that was half the size or something

pentlandflyman

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated!

I have not seen a TRV in real life. Only custom build LAW copies is what I have experience with.
The TRV sure looks like a very good vise. The only thing that puzzles me is the big rotation knob which I don't like. It's probably very usefull, but it doesn't klick with me. But maybe I could get someone to make a knob that was half the size or something
It's not as big as it looks and it's actually a lot better to use than a lever, I hated the look of it and slated it on a few posts when the vice first came out but now I have one I will happily admit I was wrong. Try and have a go before making up your mind and I guarantee you will change your opinion on it 😉 it does have pre threaded holes for a lever/handle if you wanted to add one but once you have used it with your palm you really won't want a lever added. Please try and have a look at one in the flesh because it will blow your mind and the palming wheel/knob will have you converted.

m r roid

HMH were at the BFFI last year, and I saw, and handled the TRV there. As with all HMH products the finish and build quality was superb. Only drawback for me was I'm a "South Paw" and the jaw tightening nut is on the wrong side for me 🤣😂🤣😂

Latest posts