FNF Talon vice (jaws similar to LAW vice)?

pentlandflyman

Don't know about the Talon but the HMH TRV has zero wobble, it's as smooth in rotation as possible. It's also a true rotary vice and the build quality is superb, here is a few pics of both vices and the difference in build quality is plain to see imo. I had a conversation with Jon from HMH about the jaws aswell after reading a few negative comments about them being cast...he put my mind at rest 😉 See his reply at the bottom of this post.

For approx the same price you would have to be nuts to choose the Talon over the HMH but that's just my own opinion, if you have bought one I'm sure you will have a different opinion and that's fine.

'
Screenshot_20210213-195637_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20210213-195740_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20210213-195955_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20210213-195911_Firefox.jpg
since you have had HMH vises before, you know about the strength of our jaws. I have no problems telling you that they all, including the TRV, have cast jaws. I thought the review in Trout and Salmon, mentioned the castings. After using castings for 45 years we have a good understanding of what is required as to metal alloys and the finishing required. The TRVs actually have a slightly different Alloy than the regular interchangeable jaws because in my past history of making high end target rifles. I used an alloy that will not chip that we used for making the rifle body from; a part you never want to chip!'

fender77

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated!

I have not seen a TRV in real life. Only custom build LAW copies is what I have experience with.
The TRV sure looks like a very good vise. The only thing that puzzles me is the big rotation knob which I don't like. It's probably very usefull, but it doesn't klick with me. But maybe I could get someone to make a knob that was half the size or something

pentlandflyman

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated!

I have not seen a TRV in real life. Only custom build LAW copies is what I have experience with.
The TRV sure looks like a very good vise. The only thing that puzzles me is the big rotation knob which I don't like. It's probably very usefull, but it doesn't klick with me. But maybe I could get someone to make a knob that was half the size or something
It's not as big as it looks and it's actually a lot better to use than a lever, I hated the look of it and slated it on a few posts when the vice first came out but now I have one I will happily admit I was wrong. Try and have a go before making up your mind and I guarantee you will change your opinion on it 😉 it does have pre threaded holes for a lever/handle if you wanted to add one but once you have used it with your palm you really won't want a lever added. Please try and have a look at one in the flesh because it will blow your mind and the palming wheel/knob will have you converted.

m r roid

HMH were at the BFFI last year, and I saw, and handled the TRV there. As with all HMH products the finish and build quality was superb. Only drawback for me was I'm a "South Paw" and the jaw tightening nut is on the wrong side for me 🤣😂🤣😂

fender77

I guess we see things differently. I got the HMH TRV yesterday and its sent back today. I cannot compare it to the Talon which I have not held or seen other than on pictures, but my opinion on the TRV will differ vastly from yours. It was by far the worst of all the law copies I have tied on.

I don't care if the jaws are cast or not as long as its done properly, but the fitting of the right jaw scale on the pivot point was just terrible. The spring had no chance pushing the jaws open when the tightening screw was all out. I had to press the back of the jaws together with great force to actually get the jaws to open properly for a bigger hooks.

The hook grooves are way too small for my liking. Placing a larger salmon hook was just a mess. If they had actually went with the same groove sizes on the original law, it would have been usefull for me, but as it was now, its not.

The rotation was okey, but far from good enough. Its way below the C&F Reference that I have atm or the Renzetti Presentation 4000 I had for many years.

And the over all finish and fit was just not what I expected. More on par with an old Anvil Atlas I have laying around here than anything else. The look of the oversized rotation knob which initially was holding me back turned out to be the very least issue I had with it.

So not for me then. But I do respect your thoughts on it by all means.

Some like apples and some like oranges. I guess thats just the way it is:)

pentlandflyman

I guess we see things differently. I got the HMH TRV yesterday and its sent back today. I cannot compare it to the Talon which I have not held or seen other than on pictures, but my opinion on the TRV will differ vastly from yours. It was by far the worst of all the law copies I have tied on.

I don't care if the jaws are cast or not as long as its done properly, but the fitting of the right jaw scale on the pivot point was just terrible. The spring had no chance pushing the jaws open when the tightening screw was all out. I had to press the back of the jaws together with great force to actually get the jaws to open properly for a bigger hooks.

The hook grooves are way too small for my liking. Placing a larger salmon hook was just a mess. If they had actually went with the same groove sizes on the original law, it would have been usefull for me, but as it was now, its not.

The rotation was okey, but far from good enough. Its way below the C&F Reference that I have atm or the Renzetti Presentation 4000 I had for many years.

And the over all finish and fit was just not what I expected. More on par with an old Anvil Atlas I have laying around here than anything else. The look of the oversized rotation knob which initially was holding me back turned out to be the very least issue I had with it.

So not for me then. But I do respect your thoughts on it by all means.

Some like apples and some like oranges. I guess thats just the way it is:)
I haven't experienced anything like what you have described and to me it sounds like you are describing a totally different vice. Can I ask were you got yours from ?

fender77

From the biggest fly fishing/fly tying store in Norway. No knock off if that was what you’re thinking of. Might have been a bad apple for all I know, but I’ve spoken to a few friends of mine over seas last 24 hours who had the exact same thoughts on it from playing with them at live shows over there.

pentlandflyman

From the biggest fly fishing/fly tying store in Norway. No knock off if that was what you’re thinking of. Might have been a bad apple for all I know, but I’ve spoken to a few friends of mine over seas last 24 hours who had the exact same thoughts on it from playing with them at live shows over there.
Skitt fiske ?

I just find it strange you only have about 5 posts and all on this thread about the Talon...any cynic would think you were trying to Diss the TRV to make people choose the Talon. The TRV is readily available from UK sellers so why buy from Norway and land extra costs ?

I've spoken to the owner of HMH and quite a few owners of the TRV, I'm good friends with two UK sellers and none of the issues you have raised have ever been mentioned. No returns from buyers apart from a couple of the first release vices due to the finish and that issue was sorted out long ago. I've tried my own with various big hooks upto an 8/0 with zero issues, jaws open without any issue and hooks sit nicely in the grooves. Finish is perfect and what you would expect from a high end vice, comparing it to an anvil is laughable and tells me everything I need to know. Tell Kevin I said hello 👋😏

People that have around £500 to spend on a vice will do their research and choose the vice they want, tens of thousands of happy HMH owners worldwide will vouch for their vices including me...how many will vouch for the FNF that aren't in the owners pocket ? I have nothing to gain from any of this but I will stick up for the quality of a product I own.

People can make up their own minds from reading this thread, I'm saying nothing else on it now but if anyone wants an HONEST opinion, photos or a video they can pm me.

fender77

Wow, no need to implying I have an agenda or anything. I'm norwegian living in Norway, hence I bought the TRV from a norwegian shop. The internet is accessible from everywhere.

I usually read forums and do not participate much, but since I was looking for some reviews and thoughts of the Talon that I saw on instagram, I came here by the all mighty google this time. Im looking for something in the LAW-segment and had a few questions about it due to my experience with a few other copies.

You were the one praising the TRV and I actually bought it but as I wrote, my experience with it differs from yours in every aspect. What I wrote was my experience with it and I still stand by it. But as I also stated I do respect others thoughts on it. Is that so bad?

If anything, it looks more like you're turning people against the Talon towards TRV than Im pro Talon - I haven't even seen it yet.

And I did actually contact others that turned out to have the same experience as me. The reason I did contact them was I thought I had gotten a rotten apple so to speak. That can happen of course without meaning everyone of the TRV's are rotten tomatoes.

From your way of replying to me, I clearly don't have to know who the mentioned Kevin is initially to understand you're refering to someone related to the Talon vise.

But as we say in Norwegian: "Beklager, men dette var dessverre skivebom".

Latest posts