Foam Daddy does the trick.

tingvollr

After people in my neck of the woods heard that I had caught 5 grilse and a few sea trout in the sea on them. My fishing friends and acquaintances have virtually cleared out my supply of them. I am now having to go back to my vice and replenish my stocks. A great fly Jim!

speytime

6 hrs on Sunday hooked 2 momentarily for the day, yet another day of dry, wets, lures, and nothing to show, I've landed less than 10 rainbows all season and only one wbt worth talking about and only just.
_20200909_164651.JPG
Its not been a great season on any front for me.

Al

tangled

Good fishing!
Any particular foam Daddy pattern?
Here's 'mine'....View attachment 30957
I like that, do you have a pattern? I like foam and I don't like hackles on daddies so that does it for me. Looks like antron wings but what are the legs?

I've a box full of daddy variants, several of which catch fish but none of which I'm totally happy with yet, still playing.

Rhithrogena

I like that, do you have a pattern? I like foam and I don't like hackles on daddies so that does it for me. Looks like antron wings but what are the legs?

I've a box full of daddy variants, several of which catch fish but none of which I'm totally happy with yet, still playing.
The legs are moose hair. Long and crinkly and tough. Wings are ancient 'dry fly poly yarn' but yes basically Antron. Foam is cheapo Craft foam 2mm - I glue two sheets back to back and cut suitable strips off which I crudely shape with scissors......

Rhithrogena

One thing I notice when looking at the naturals is that they don't often sit on the water like our artificials do. They are usually buzzing downwind over the surface as if they are trying to pull their stuck legs out of the water. The only way to properly imitate a Daddy doing this is dapping, I reckon......
I keep meaning to do a bit of shore dapping up at Colliford (no boats). God knows it's usually windy enough on top of Bodmin Moor.

shortcircuit

Guys I tried trying the Fulling Mill variant last week and found it a straightforward tie and looks great. Couple of questions for you:

Does anyone have an easy way of making knotted pheasant tail legs if you don't have the a special tool for it. I found it tough going.

If you are using the foam cylinders, what brand and size do you use. I only had white Wapsi foam cylinders , I think they were 3/32 in. Aside from being white and needing to be coloured with a marker, I found them a little bit thick for the job.

tangled

Does anyone have an easy way of making knotted pheasant tail legs if you don't have the a special tool for it. I found it tough going.
There are various methods if you search on line. Some make it a bit easier, none of them make it easy. Personally I gave up and bought a pre-knotted feather off ebay.

Life's too short to knot a feather :)