Foam for tying sus buzzers

geo4316

Hi im a newbie at tying flys, iv been doing spiders, diawls & buzzers and getting on ok but im looking at trying size 12 & 14 foam suspender buzzers. What size/type of foam would you recommend for this? Thanks again

smallmouth

I still use poly balls enclosed in nylon pop sock material. With a slightly long "neck" between the tying in point and the ball so that I can wrap a parachute hackle round it.

Last edited:

The Squire

I've previously used the poly ball enclosed in nylon mentioned above which works well, the only downside is they're not very resilient to trouts teeth should you be fortunate enough to have a good session!
Earlier in the year I tied some popper hoppers using Veniard 7mm booby cylinders and they worked ok so am planning to use similar for my next batch of suspenders buzzers. As an aside I think the cylinders will hold up a more robust hook than the Kamasan B100 that I have used for this pattern but have had a few of those straightened.

Paul_B

When I used foam I bought a bath type sponge from the £1 shop, also good for fly bodies after a dab of permanent marker,

Attachments

• DSC_0497 (2).JPG
    DSC_0497 (2).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 30

roadrunner1000

Does anybody know how Brian Leadbetter tied the foam ? It appears to be tied in pointing over the eye then folded back ?

Thanks