Fog Black

dpl230

Just wanted to know if anyone here could show me how to tie a Fog Black. I have seen pictures of it and basic tying instructions for it but I really want to know, how is the Bullfinch's Wing tied to the fly. Most instruction .... even in P E Tritt's book it just says, Wings - from a Bullfinch's wing. Which part of the wing are the fibers supposed to be taken from? and how is it tied to the hook? Is there any alternative to Bullfinch's wings? Would appreciate all or any help on this one.

smallmouth

In Roger Fogg's "A Handbook of North Country Trout Flies" the dressing of the Fog Black is described as Little Black with the addition of wings. Roger Fogg says starling feather slips are generally used now.

So the dressing is presumably:

Hook: 18, 16 or 14
Tying Thread: Purple
Hackle: A dark glossy purple-black starling neck feather
Body: Magpie herl, flue raised with fingernail, then twisted with tying silk and touching turns back to hackle
Wings: Starling primary feather slips?

wobbly face

You won't be able to get bullfinch feathers, protected. Feather used was the inner 2 secondaries and used for the wing. Alternative feathers: lapwing (again protected), magpie tail or wing and Jay (dun part of the brilliant mottle blue wing feather). Also as smallmouth posted, starling. There are several versions of the Fog Black, one uses a feather from the outside of a bullfinch wing for legs. There are few patterns (different styles of fly) in Robert L Smith's book "The North Country Fly, Yorkshire's Soft Hackle Tradition". As to position of the wing on the hook, sloping back over the hook shank. Maybe cocked to a 45 degree angle for as dry pattern. The fly was used when terrestrial flies are on the wing, black gnats, midges and stoneflies.