Folding landing net for Pike?

skinner

Looking around at getting a folding net for Pike on the fly, any suggestions or advice would be appreciated please.

running bear

Harris angling (Harris sportsmail) used to do their own QED huntsman net, a massive folding next, extendable handle with wide hook proof mesh. Very basic nets but functionally perfect when fly fishing for pike or roaming with a lure or wobble setup. Not the best boat option to be fair but I don’t use it in a boat.

I wear mine on my back and it doesn’t interfere with a wave hopper vest operation or casting, as it’s got a clip rather than a sling. If you were really short it might start to interfere with mobility.

See if you can get a used one somewhere, I don’t think anyone is making a folding net anywhere nearly as big that’s as functional so it’s worth the search.

skinner

Harris angling (Harris sportsmail) used to do their own QED huntsman net, a massive folding next, extendable handle with wide hook proof mesh. Very basic nets but functionally perfect when fly fishing for pike or roaming with a lure or wobble setup. Not the best boat option to be fair but I don’t use it in a boat.

I wear mine on my back and it doesn’t interfere with a wave hopper vest operation or casting, as it’s got a clip rather than a sling. If you were really short it might start to interfere with mobility.

See if you can get a used one somewhere, I don’t think anyone is making a folding net anywhere nearly as big that’s as functional so it’s worth the search.
Cheers for this information, it’s appreciated, yes I need it to wear on my back as roaming around in search of the fish 👍

running bear

Cheers for this information, it’s appreciated, yes I need it to wear on my back as roaming around in search of the fish 👍
If you come across one, there were two iterations, the older one didn't have any plastic components. If you need to lift from the handle pike>15lb, it's not for you. If you lift the rim (which I do), it's fine.

skinner

If you come across one, there were two iterations, the older one didn't have any plastic components. If you need to lift from the handle pike>15lb, it's not for you. If you lift the rim (which I do), it's fine.
Thanks for the advice RB👍

icaughtafishonce

No idea if they're any good (yet) but I've literally just bought a Snowbee Salmon/Pike folding net for this very reason. They have two sizes, with the larger one being advertised as the Salmon/Pike net, so I figure it'll do double duty. I was just going to buy a Gye net, but most of them don't have rubber mesh.

When I get mine and if I get a chance to try it out, I'll let you know how I get on. It's probably too big for the size of Salmon/Pike I think I'll catch, but I'd rather have a big net for the one time you do catch something decent, even if 99% of the time I'll be cursing the size.

skinner

No idea if they're any good (yet) but I've literally just bought a Snowbee Salmon/Pike folding net for this very reason. They have two sizes, with the larger one being advertised as the Salmon/Pike net, so I figure it'll do double duty. I was just going to buy a Gye net, but most of them don't have rubber mesh.

When I get mine and if I get a chance to try it out, I'll let you know how I get on. It's probably too big for the size of Salmon/Pike I think I'll catch, but I'd rather have a big net for the one time you do catch something decent, even if 99% of the time I'll be cursing the size.

Thanks for this advice and link , look forward to see how you get on with it , I’m sure it will be good and better to be bigger as you say ... just in case 👍

colliedog

The nets at Mentieth that Jim refers to are Savage Gear folding nets.

It is the frame that folds in half. The spreader block slides up the handle and engages with two spring balls mounted in the handle. They are decen nets but really require two handed operation to assemble. Having looked at them i woul d not have one for roving.

The Snowbee, if decent quality, looks the part.

skinner

It is the frame that folds in half. The spreader block slides up the handle and engages with two spring balls mounted in the handle. They are decen nets but really require two handed operation to assemble. Having looked at them i woul d not have one for roving.

thanks CD , appreciate the advice , really helps when trying to choose. 👍

beetlebum

I have one of these and as you say you wouldn't want to do much in the way of mobile fishing with it. Just the ticket for boat fishing though.

running bear

That looks the business

b13rux

i use one of these, the only thing i would caution is the mechanism to hold the handle back into the net top can come loose, this is only an issue when carrying it closed. it is a good net though and massive.

skinner

i use one of these, the only thing i would caution is the mechanism to hold the handle back into the net top can come loose, this is only an issue when carrying it closed. it is a good net though and massive.

Thanks for advice, yes I probably need something that doesn’t come loose . Appreciate your input thou . Cheers

volksfish

I use one of these, they are very good and light, but feel robust, I’ve also used it for carp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Looking around at getting a folding net for Pike on the fly, any suggestions or advice would be appreciated please.
Perhaps a traditional Gye net?
Big net, designed to be carried/worn on your back whilst roving, does not fold but has a mechanism that locks net in position once ready, and can be lifted one handed on pole.

Bert