Four piece rods

Gordon Ottershaw

Banned
Banned
I have a few of those, a couple made by Steve Parton, and a couple by the local sewing shop.

I don't want to get into a what can you carry on debate, but 4 piece rods were very well established before 911. I think it's a myth that anglers buy 4 piece rods just because of air travel - what proportion of rods actually get to an airport.

Manufacturers began to drop 2 and 3 piece rods because anglers stopped buying them because of the convenience of 4 piece rods, With no penalty in performance why would anyone buy not buy a 4 piece rod.
Thats correct and what I was saying. Terrorism has absolutely no history in multi piece fly rods. Bamboo rod makers in the USA made rods in multiple pieces decades before carbon for backpackers. As usual the UK was years behind because people didn't travel the same distances.
Some manufacturers, the rods I own, thought that for saltwater 3 pieces were the optimum. Others four. Now some say six.
As for suitcases being less likely to go missing or not arrive.......good luck with that

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
12 and 13ft beach casters were two piece, it was such a relief when they made them 3 piece :)
Still have a couple of two piece 13' beachcasters. Still cant fathom out how I got them into motor safely! Me and passengers must have had rods over our shoulders!
And by the way guys, it was Lockerbie, not Locherbie
pedantic maybe, but I have my memories.
regards
Bert

easker1

Gordon read my post about hardys multipiece Cane rods, the Kenya and the early smugglers easker1

easker1

Not sure what that means Gordon, but I do know that the hardys Kenya was made in the 30's
easker1

hutch6

I prefer 4 piece rods but would like proper bags/socks to be more common, keeping them in a tube is great, but walking to the bank is better with the rod in a bag rather than a tube, you can put the bag in your pocket.
By this do you mean the soft material things with sections for each rod section and then flap that would fold over the open-ended bit and tie around the section to hold them together?

This type of thing:

Attachments

original cormorant

By this do you mean the soft material things with sections for each rod section and then flap that would fold over the open-ended bit and tie around the section to hold them together?

This type of thing:
How did you guess!

One thing seems to be clear - no votes for divided tubes.