Frank Sawyer flies.

mike fox

Looks like they were tied by his wife as she would type the cards up as well. Probably of no real financial value as there are plenty about. I can pm you Tim and Nick (Son & Grandson) e mail address if you like. I would be prepared to part with £20 and a free copy of my book which includes the previously unpublished 17 verse poem 'The Chalk Stream' by Frank as a gesture if you're interested in parting with them.
Verse(1)
High in the hills amid the chalk, I saw the light of day
Slowly along with murmured song, I gently wind my way.
Into the valley, green and gay, I creep with pride and stealth
I bring with me, for all to see, great happiness and wealth.
My friends come running from afar, given birth by tiny springs
O’er gravel bright I run in fright, with dread lest hindered be,
My journey, nay, no thing shall stay, is downward to the sea.

tomglum

Looks like they were tied by his wife as she would type the cards up as well. Probably of no real financial value as there are plenty about. I can pm you Tim and Nick (Son & Grandson) e mail address if you like. I would be prepared to part with £20 and a free copy of my book which includes the previously unpublished 17 verse poem 'The Chalk Stream' by Frank as a gesture if you're interested in parting with them.
Verse(1)
High in the hills amid the chalk, I saw the light of day
Slowly along with murmured song, I gently wind my way.
Into the valley, green and gay, I creep with pride and stealth
I bring with me, for all to see, great happiness and wealth.
My friends come running from afar, given birth by tiny springs
O’er gravel bright I run in fright, with dread lest hindered be,
My journey, nay, no thing shall stay, is downward to the sea.
Interesting , so your basically saying frank would get his wife to tie the flies and pass them off as his. A bit naughty haha . I'll pass on the the offer thanks
Tim

mike fox

Nick, his grandson took it up, but now I believe he has stopped tying them. I don't think Frank ever passed them off as all his own work, only his own design as they were easily copied.

tomglum

Nick, his grandson took it up, but now I believe he has stopped tying them. I don't think Frank ever passed them off as all his own work, only his own design as they were easily copied.
Then why did he sign them then ? his name is on the front of the card stating the design.:)

Last edited:

mike fox

Then why did he sign them then ? his name is on the front of the card stating the design.
Because they are of his original design and the 'Sawyer brand' tied by his family so he would be entitled to put his name to them. Copies tied by others he would not put his name to and neither can anyone else claim them to be tied by the Sawyer family. He did not have a patent or copyright on them though.

sewinbasher

Because they are of his original design and the 'Sawyer brand' tied by his family so he would be entitled to put his name to them. Copies tied by others he would not put his name to and neither can anyone else claim them to be tied by the Sawyer family. He did not have a patent or copyright on them though.
I believe that Sid Knight was the first to protect a pattern with copyright/trade name and that was the Dog Nobbler. Maybe jointly with Trevor Housby but I'm not sure.