Free Fishing -If you don’t ask you don’t get!

salopflyfishing

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 10, 2012
Messages
105
I’ve historically been a member of a few clubs with annual fees ranging from £30 to £250. Experience has taught me that cost rarely equals quality, so this season I’ve made a point of locating trouty looking stretches of river on Google maps and then asking land owners if they mind me fishing them - nobody has yet refused and the pleasure of discovering these (generally not fished) waters is immeasurable.

This made me speculate on whether longer term I’ll bother with local clubs as well as wondering how many other people venture ‘off piste’ and what their general experience is (putting aside the obvious points about the benefits of supporting local clubs for various reasons)?
 

sean freeman

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
1,417
Location
Manchester
I've managed to get some fishing without the need to ask, plenty of leg work as well as google. Only downside is anyone else can also fish plus, jungle and a lot leave junk to navigate.
Same sort of places I fish, most urban rivers don’t require permission, just research and finding decent access.

These places have produced better fish than any of the club waters I fish too. Not a numbers game but the average size makes up for it.
 

salopflyfishing

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 10, 2012
Messages
105
I moved this year to a very rural area and definitely miss urban jungle flyfishing - that’s generally a win/win for catching nice fish, and feeling smug about taking out some of the inevitable plastic rubbish!

A different experience from dodging inquisitive cattle for sure!
 

salopflyfishing

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 10, 2012
Messages
105
I am a club member in Ireland but live in London. A few years ago I managed to get a section of the Itchen to myself by knocking on a door and asking nicely ... I drop off a modest gift every year; everyone’s a winner.
That sounds like a lottery win, we’ll done (y)
 

bobmiddlepoint

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 28, 2017
Messages
3,747
Location
Where I want to be
I’ve historically been a member of a few clubs with annual fees ranging from £30 to £250. Experience has taught me that cost rarely equals quality, so this season I’ve made a point of locating trouty looking stretches of river on Google maps and then asking land owners if they mind me fishing them - nobody has yet refused and the pleasure of discovering these (generally not fished) waters is immeasurable.

I must say if you've never been refused you are doing something very right! Or it might be down to the more generous nature of the people in the region you are asking, when I tried the same thing in Devon, Dorset and Somerset 95% said no. The weird thing was they many of them didn't appear to want to say no, they came across as rather embarrassed at refusing. On the other hand the 5% that said yes yielded some cracking fishing so it was worth it.

The cynical might suggest my poor strike rate was down to me but I don't think it was. In the last ten years in Scotland aside from one club I've not paid a penny for my fishing, people just give it too me for nothing. Who knew, the people of Scotland more generous than those of England (well the Westcountry anyway).


Andy
 

sean freeman

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
1,417
Location
Manchester
I must say if you've never been refused you are doing something very right! Or it might be down to the more generous nature of the people in the region you are asking, when I tried the same thing in Devon, Dorset and Somerset 95% said no. The weird thing was they many of them didn't appear to want to say no, they came across as rather embarrassed at refusing. On the other hand the 5% that said yes yielded some cracking fishing so it was worth it.

The cynical might suggest my poor strike rate was down to me but I don't think it was. In the last ten years in Scotland aside from one club I've not paid a penny for my fishing, people just give it too me for nothing. Who knew, the people of Scotland more generous than those of England (well the Westcountry anyway).


Andy
The quality of fishing in Scotland for the money or no money in most cases is extraordinary. The only place that peeves me a bit is the way Scourie run their fishing. Thousands of other lochs to go at though, not than anyone will find me on the hills anyway.
 

salopflyfishing

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 10, 2012
Messages
105
I must say if you've never been refused you are doing something very right! Or it might be down to the more generous nature of the people in the region you are asking, when I tried the same thing in Devon, Dorset and Somerset 95% said no. The weird thing was they many of them didn't appear to want to say no, they came across as rather embarrassed at refusing. On the other hand the 5% that said yes yielded some cracking fishing so it was worth it.

The cynical might suggest my poor strike rate was down to me but I don't think it was. In the last ten years in Scotland aside from one club I've not paid a penny for my fishing, people just give it too me for nothing. Who knew, the people of Scotland more generous than those of England (well the Westcountry anyway).


Andy
That's interesting, I hadn't really thought about how regions may differ. Where I am in south shropshire I very rarely see anybody fishing the smaller rivers and streams and owners quite often comment that it's been some time since their stretches were fished so maybe I shouldn't take things for granted.

I am definitely trying to build up a portfolio of free fishing though, almost as a challenge!
 

sean freeman

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
1,417
Location
Manchester
That's interesting, I hadn't really thought about how regions may differ. Where I am in south shropshire I very rarely see anybody fishing the smaller rivers and streams and owners quite often comment that it's been some time since their stretches were fished so maybe I shouldn't take things for granted.

I am definitely trying to build up a portfolio of free fishing though, almost as a challenge!
There’s something deeply satisfying about venturing to a water no one has fished and striking gold! I’ve heard some of the places I fish described as being devoid of life but I won’t bother correcting people! I’d only ever share locations with a handful of like minded lads I know, even then we all have our secret favourites.
 

blithfield2

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2009
Messages
3,189
There’s something deeply satisfying about venturing to a water no one has fished and striking gold! I’ve heard some of the places I fish described as being devoid of life but I won’t bother correcting people! I’d only ever share locations with a handful of like minded lads I know, even then we all have our secret favourites.
Hello best friend:rolleyes:
 

bobmiddlepoint

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 28, 2017
Messages
3,747
Location
Where I want to be
That's interesting, I hadn't really thought about how regions may differ. Where I am in south shropshire I very rarely see anybody fishing the smaller rivers and streams and owners quite often comment that it's been some time since their stretches were fished so maybe I shouldn't take things for granted.

I think a lot of the problem I faced in the Westcountry was the number of incomers. They buy a house with a bit of ground in the sticks thinking they will never see a soul and are then horrified to discover there is a public right of way across it. When someone pitches up and mentions fishing as well it's just too much!


Andy
 

codyarrow

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 6, 2010
Messages
5,152
Going to join Forsinard club for a wopping £40 a year for loads of lochs. Seems to be run by anglers. A couple of the locals I mentioned this to were horrified that I should pay at all.
The only fishing I've paid for in the last decade was for using the boat as well, and even then it's not much.
 

salopflyfishing

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 10, 2012
Messages
105
I think a lot of the problem I faced in the Westcountry was the number of incomers. They buy a house with a bit of ground in the sticks thinking they will never see a soul and are then horrified to discover there is a public right of way across it. When someone pitches up and mentions fishing as well it's just too much!


Andy
That sounds about right - one local farmer‘s comment to me was ‘….sure,the river’s there to be fished.’ - what a gent, but sadly no longer with us.

There is something magical, and so redolent of childhood fishing memories discovering what’s round the next tree lined bend!
 

arawa

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2013
Messages
473
Location
Highlands
Quite a few years ago, heading back along a sheep track after fishing (poaching 🙄) a remote hill loch I met, for the first time ever, the owner of a neighbouring estate who was walking towards me.
As my rod was sticking out of my rucksack I could not avoid answering his question of “had I had any luck”?
We chatted about fishing etc for a few minutes then, apologising for its quality, he said I was welcome to fish any of the many lochs on his estate (5000 acres) whenever I wished!
 

Latest posts

Top