Freestyle Salmon fly

tj hooker

This has been in the vice for quite a
while tied for a friend who kindly gave me some of his pigs wool very corse stuff when your use to seals fur I’m calling it Mister Mangalitsas fancy if I had to go back I’d do something with the tail just not right tails are bugging me last few have not been right I’ve run out of yours Mark lol
FF667D37-D4F0-454B-9F30-F6E8DB6E4A7F.jpeg

baca157

Nice one Grahame. Love the look of that pigs wool on the body.

You'll get there with the tails eventually. I am still not happy with mine but they are getting better each time. I found a little trick which helps - after I tie the tail feather, I hold the end and slide my dubbing needle underneath the feather as close to the tie in point as possible. I then push the needle up while pulling down on the tip of the feather. This gives a little kink in the stem so the feather sits a bit lower and splays out a bit too. Kind of similar to what Mark does with his tails, although he does it before he ties it on.

Cheers,
Sebastian

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
Looking a bit snappy that one Grahame and some interesting colour combo going on. With freestyle I suppose anything goes so can't really comment in relation to classic proportion etc in general. I like that taper of the tag going into the body section and nice taper on the hackles. For more cascade to the tail you have to nick along the topside of the crest with your thumb or fingernail and if you overdo it then nick along the other side to reverse it and try again but I've seen plenty originals without cascade as some were tied in along the stem of the crest rather than near the base. A slight variation on the technique I use by Sebastian to get the tail to sit down better. I always go by about two thirds the hook gape for the height of the tail if I'm not tying them low and flat that is like I do quite a lot these days. If I'm tying wings in the more modern tips up style I'll go for a curvier tail rather than a flatter one as it's more suited to that style I think as the wing tends to sit a bit higher.

arkle

That's a real "Stunner" G. Has many classic hallmarks. The photo is way up there as well.