Freezing Please feed the Small Birds

johngolden

“Goldenloch” Fishing Report 2021

email: john@john-nicol.co.uk

Phone; 01337840355, or 07968006367

Secchi-2.4 metres + Temperature 3.00 degrees - Oxygen is High

“The Goldenloch”

January-01-01-2021, Fishery Blog, Week 01.

Frozen, conditions just now, i.e. its been ice since before Christmas, strange ice however as there are patches of clear water all over, yet the ice around the boats was about 4 cm thick, the unfrozen areas are allowing the wildlife access to the water, the fishing before the ice came was pretty tough, as the fish were well and truly acclimatised to the shrimps, muscles and snails in the water, one thing about deep weeds they always seem to survive, even in very cold weather, making the perfect environment for the crustaceans to survive and for the fish to feed on, however a lot of the lighter weeds have died off and are floating into the outflow causing a small bit of grief, in that clumps of weed can block the grids, requiring a daily clean, this is extremely tedious and cold work but has to be done, it was very noticeable that a few of the fish being caught in November and December were much larger than what we would normally expect, perhaps due in most that fishing is now predominately Catch and Release, I am pretty sure that the number of fish in the loch is higher now than at any time before in January, having spoken with our suppliers last week we can look forward to some excellent stocking starting soon, the only interruption would be the weather conditions e.g. continued ice, so 2021 lets hope for a cracking season starting soon actually a good hard frost is probably what we are needing it kills lots of nasties that are in and around the margins, on that point rats are surviving pretty well at the moment on the loch margins, quite a few dead frogs etc seem to be on the menu plus some small dead birds sad but a lack of feeding as the berry bushes are all stripped, annoying when putting out feeding that magpies, jackdaws, crows, seagulls are the first and last to scoop it up, but everyone please feed the birds its very important especially the small birds.

Our remit has always been since 1986, is that fishing the “Goldenloch” is a day out, a day when a hobby becomes a pleasure, anglers are here to relax, enjoying the atmosphere, no interruptions, in safety with no unwanted background noise, tranquil surroundings, abundant genuine wildlife, Finest quality, hard fighting, guaranteed, boat or bank you decide. Phone 01337840355 or 07968006367 ask for John or look up Postcode KY14 6HZ

Attachments

• 2021 ice.jpg
    2021 ice.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 2021 ice1.jpg
    2021 ice1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 24
  • 2021 ice2.jpg
    2021 ice2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 2021 ice3.jpg
    2021 ice3.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 28

4wings

We feed sunflower hearts and fat blocks as well as fat balls and mealworms for Robins and wrens.
Always put out unfrozen water for the birds and other critters.
I used to have a separate bird table, well away from the pretty bird table for the Corvids, meat scraps and corn mix.

BobP

Even down here in the "soft" South the birds need a helping hand and I'm on my second 12.5kg bag of bird seed and second tub of 50 fat balls. There will be more before we're done. I get mine from Amazon Prime. Brilliant service and saves me from going to the garden centre. Same with my dog food. Just got two 15kg bags of Skinners Chicken and Rice. Free postage and its £2.49 cheaper than the shop.

Hardrar

I’m going through redskin peanuts at over 2kg a day through just one big ball feeder. 3 weeks ago, lasted over a week! Hard spell coming, no doubt?
I can’t feed Sunflower hearts seeds etc as we get about 2/300 pheasants invade from the neighbouring shoot- eat all my plants and dig up the lawn like chickens do, plus they carry nasty mycoplasma which affects our dogs.
Local shoot releases 6 figure sums of partridges and pheasant. What cocks they don’t shoot, they cull in February.

Paul_B

I’m going through redskin peanuts at over 2kg a day through just one big ball feeder. 3 weeks ago, lasted over a week! Hard spell coming, no doubt?
I can’t feed Sunflower hearts seeds etc as we get about 2/300 pheasants invade from the neighbouring shoot- eat all my plants and dig up the lawn like chickens do, plus they carry nasty mycoplasma which affects our dogs.
Local shoot releases 6 figure sums of partridges and pheasant. What cocks they don’t shoot, they cull in February.
High or low they got t go

benisa

have to out smart the squirrels in the garden so have hung the feeders from tree to tree with 100 line , but the F..... parakeets they try it on also

but the little chaps are still get there bit :)

Hardrar

have to out smart the squirrels in the garden so have hung the feeders from tree to tree with 100 line , but the F..... parakeets they try it on also

but the little chaps are still get there bit :)

Have you tried a feeder with the big heavy duty cage round it to stop squirrels crows large birds etc getting at the feed?

benisa

Have you tried a feeder with the big heavy duty cage round it to stop squirrels crows large birds etc getting at the feed?

yes have tried one of those but the squirrels here are most determined to get the feed

found by having the feeders on the line its strong so can hold the weight of the 2 feeders

and the squirrel can not get at them but the parakeets can hung from them

but the little chaps get there bit which matters

4wings

I drilled some holes in a hefty branch and hung it on a chain. I filled the holes with peanut butter and dried mealworm mix. It brings in both kinds of Spotted woodpecker and the occasional Green, as well as other birds. I also paint cheap jam on the log for insects, which are taken by Wrens and Robins.

4wings

The hummingbirds really need a handout in the winter months, they are at the feeders all day long
Interesting, what do you feed them? A sugar solution?
I bought a hummingbird feeder for the moths and other insects in the garden but it has seen little use due to the weather.

PaulD

Not long now :) the blue tits are checking out all the nest boxes I made in the first lockdown 🐦
This morning our front lawns look like a Grouse breeding site . . . but with Blackbirds! We have an ornamental cherry tree that's heavy with fruit by the lawn that's a magnet for birds at this time of year - Blackbirds in particular. Mr Blackbird is already showing considerable interest in Mrs Blackbird.

jack_russell

I have chickens & unfortunatley with the current bird flu outbreak its not advised to encourage wild birds near them so my bird feeders have been decommissioned, 😪

Hardrar

I have chickens & unfortunatley with the current bird flu outbreak its not advised to encourage wild birds near them so my bird feeders have been decommissioned, 😪
I’ve had an Email from DEFRA a few weeks back, to tell me to keep all my birds inside ( I’m a registered cage breed birder) due to bird flu, all domestic poultry should really be inside too.

Own bred Hand tame baby Bourkes

B0966104-1968-467B-A366-255E4885CE87.jpeg

Own bred Irish Fancy Canary Cock- great singers.
9F025C1A-0CD0-4784-975A-37B2A2F87909.jpeg

jack_russell

I’ve had an Email from DEFRA a few weeks back, to tell me to keep all my birds inside ( I’m a registered cage breed birder) due to bird flu, all domestic poultry should really be inside too.

The chickens are indoors - well in the shed & they ain't too happy about it! but I was advised by DEFRA/apha not to encourage wild birds to the garden,