French/Czech Nymph Rod advice

tiggs

I live in NZ and would like to learn about this style of nymphing without spending a fortune. I built up a 10ft 4wt after purchasing a suitable blank but although the tip is reasonably soft, the rod feels much more like a 5 or 6wt and is comfortable line casting both. I have had all sorts of trouble lobbing my flies back upstream or trying to cast as per French nymphing and wondered whether this rod is just too stiff. The rivers I fish are relatively small and the fish arent big, up to around 3lbs.

After searching, I wondered whether a softer Wychwood rod, 10ft in either 3wt or 4wt would perhaps make the job easier. Not knowing a great deal about this style of fishing or being able to compare rods makes it a difficult choice with my knowledge being gleaned from the internet. Some "experts" recommend a rod just like mine, others suggest a much more moderate action as the perfect rod. Bewildering!

From what I gather, a much softer rod is required for the longer style of French nymphing while my 4wt may be be the perfect rod for bigger waters. At this stage, casting a fly line seems to be my best choice. Any rod advice would be appreciated.

Owen

taffy1

It may be worth you checking out the spec on a Shakespeare Agility Rise rod, a more "through" action rod than the Agility. It won't break the bank either. :thumbs:

Guest106

From what I gather, a much softer rod is required for the longer style of French nymphing while my 4wt may be be the perfect rod for bigger waters.

You hear that a lot, however, like others I myself prefer a nymphing rod to have a bit more poke in the middle but with a flexible but quick recovering tip....my Helios 2 10' #3 is possibly my best all rounder. With a French Leader it makes for more accurate casting; a soft rod can spray the line all over the place especially when the wind gets up. However, it all comes down to personal preference and trading off casting finesse with fish playing qualities of a rod.

A 9'6 #3 or #4 might be worth considering either Snowbee Prestige, Grey's Streamflex or a Hanak SLT.

Lindsay

R

rausage

Anyone got the Snowbee Prestige? Either the 9'6 #3, or the 10' #2??

It's high on my list at the moment...

Guest106

Anyone got the Snowbee Prestige? Either the 9'6 #3, or the 10' #2??

It's high on my list at the moment...

I have used both for two seasons. Great rods for the money. The 9'6#3 is better for dries (and nymphs) whereas the 10' #2 is superb for Euro Nymphing, decent for dries though it is a compromise.

Lindsay

rockslider

Hi Tiggs,
I have been having the same trouble as you. I have a 10ft 3 weight (built) but it seems a bit stiff to be lobbing the nymphs. There are not many nymphers around here in Ireland to have a go from their rods! A couple of French lads here and also some poles do nymph and use softer rods. I think that is the way to go, you dont need to force it like i seem i am doing. I got around it by using a sunk 4 weight line i had (a cortland sinker) that is conveniently colour barred. I have attached a cut down tapered leader to a tippet ring and then tippet. I dont need any indicators as the main line is colour barred. With a bit of four weight line outside the rod tip it now throws the nymphs nicely.
Try this first before buying a new rod if you have any sinking lines knocking about!
My brother lives near Christchurch so i have to visit him sometime! Seem to be some nice streams in that area.

bibio1st

I've got the 9ft 3wt Prestige and it's a very nice rod for nymphing on my small river with tg beads up to 3.8ml, I'm not sure how it would cope on a bigger river with heavier flows and nymphs.

Steve

tiggs

Thanks for these great suggestions. It gives me some guidance and it seems that I am not alone. I will look at the agility, it wont break the bank and is available in a 4pc. I guess that at this stage, I am not a dedicated short line nympher so I would like to experiment with the technique before spending a lot of money on equipment.

icejohn

If u in New Zealand. Get cheap Chinese 10ft 3wt. Else build one on a blank yourself fairly certain you guys have shops that must sell blanks. Good luck.

R

rausage

I've the Diamond in 9ft-3*, a model down from the Prestige & it's a lovely rod for the river nymphing...one on Snowbee's website now for £50.

Snowbee Spring Clearance 2016. Get some great bargains while they last.

cheers for the tip - looks like an absolute steal for that price!

Funnily enough (well not funny at all I guess) but i happened to break my 10'er today, so this thread is well timed.

For OP my suggestion would be that you probably dont need to spend too much on a starting czech nymphing rod, as long as its pretty light and pokey enough to knock over a lightweight leader. it seems to get more complex if you want it to be able to fish dries also though....

i have two flextecs - 7'6 and 10' streamtecs. The shorter one is an excellent small stream dry fly rod, and the 10' is a decent nymphing rod - a little heavy and not great for dries, but for the money (c. £50) its a good rod - very useable.

Anyone any more thoughts on other sub £200 nymphing rods, especially 9 & 9'6s. Lindsay, i know you've a few rods :)

baztek1

I have a greys stream flex + in 9.6' 4# the classifieds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blox119

Looks a really good price on these at present. £80 down from £190

They always are that price! Never sell at full price.

Sell on eBay too I got mine for less, the less popular length weight rods don't get so many bidders.

luke troutstalker

Banned
Banned
They always are that price! Never sell at full price.

Sell on eBay too I got mine for less, the less popular length weight rods don't get so many bidders.

I think flextec have cocked up with that marketing strategy - it makes them look a bit of a joke, which is a shame as the streamtec rods are mint for the money, the best of the budgets by a long way IMO, I still use my 9' #3 regularly, it's the best of the range from the ones I have tried. A bit like that Winston 'staff of Moses' except it cost £22. Mines got extra provenance as it used to belong to Beryl :whistle:

gazza53

I live in NZ and would like to learn about this style of nymphing without spending a fortune. I built up a 10ft 4wt after purchasing a suitable blank but although the tip is reasonably soft, the rod feels much more like a 5 or 6wt and is comfortable line casting both. I have had all sorts of trouble lobbing my flies back upstream or trying to cast as per French nymphing and wondered whether this rod is just too stiff. The rivers I fish are relatively small and the fish arent big, up to around 3lbs.

After searching, I wondered whether a softer Wychwood rod, 10ft in either 3wt or 4wt would perhaps make the job easier. Not knowing a great deal about this style of fishing or being able to compare rods makes it a difficult choice with my knowledge being gleaned from the internet. Some "experts" recommend a rod just like mine, others suggest a much more moderate action as the perfect rod. Bewildering!

From what I gather, a much softer rod is required for the longer style of French nymphing while my 4wt may be be the perfect rod for bigger waters. At this stage, casting a fly line seems to be my best choice. Any rod advice would be appreciated.

Owen
I

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk