Frogs fanny substitute

boisker

A few years ago I bought a couple of pint pots of a substitute powder... basically a hydrophobic fumed silica, but I couldn’t find the online eBay supplier again (there were a couple in the states, but for such a light and bulky product postage was silly)
So, after a bit of googling I found the likely product and a company selling it.... basically Cab O Sil
technically I believe frogs fanny is two blended products, but I use the powder to float the fly rather than dry it, so just need the hydrophobic characteristic.....
the actual product is cab o sil type TS-720
£20 for 500g
500g doesn’t sound a lot.... I nearly bought a kg..... glad I didn’t, 500g must be 8 pints of powder 😂

used it last night.... and it’s the same powder I’ve always used for CDC

pati

Be very prudent when transferring in small containers/manipulating large quantities ...
This is very dangerous stuff for the lungs and chatting with professionals about it discouraged me to pursue that saving because of the health hazard.

Dingbat

Be very prudent when transferring in small containers/manipulating large quantities ...
This is very dangerous stuff for the lungs and chatting with professionals about it discouraged me to pursue that saving because of the health hazard.
Eyes as well

I got 20 litres of samples for free - if anybody needs some let me know

Wee Jimmy

Aye we used to use Cab o sil at work for thickening up adhesives. Not allowed to use it now,we had to bin it.

boisker

I transfer into multiple little bottles at the same time, outside and with a mask...
Transferring is no more risky than using a little tub fishing if you do it in the right way...

Wee Jimmy

I transfer into multiple little bottles at the same time, outside and with a mask...
Transferring is no more risky than using a little tub fishing if you do it in the right way...
I imagine it could easily all blow away in a fishing situation boisker..?

Spider

I got a tub from John tyzack a few years ago. Don't breath it, but that's shouldn't be a problem if you are in any way careful.

boisker

I imagine it could easily all blow away in a fishing situation boisker..?

I do take onboard the point up thread about it being a nasty product and people should be careful with it.... I assumed anyone considering buying it would already have used a similar product and already aware...

i use the same style bottles as frogs fanny.... tapered neck, screw top with little brush attached.
i just bought new small bottles to transfer into, i purposely bought slightly larger than last time, so I will only fill them 2/3 which reduces pulling any excessive amount up with the brush and they will be easier to fill as a small teaspoon will fit in the top.
I’ve found as long as you are careful filling them and do it on a calm day then it’s straight forward

£25 for over 8 pints of powder and 8 x 60ml new bottles.... compared to £8 for frogs fanny.... if you already use a powder it’s a no brainer...

Whinging pom

An old GP and his son in our club bought in bulk also. They suck it up and transfer it into containers with a syringe to keep down the mess … might be worth giving it ago if your struggling to contain the dust at all.

Spider

This stuff is OK if you are careful. Fill your small vial when out of the wind, ie in a shed etc. In use, use the brush applicator and keep it away from your mouth. Best to wash hands after filling bottle, or rinse in river if any gets on your hands, but I think inhaling it is the main danger so just don't be clumsy or get it near your face. Should be fine in reality.

Vermontdrifter

Dingbat got me a bag of this stuff and I use a turkey baster to transfer the powder to an old frogs fanny bottle. I did get stopped by French customs after Hans gave me this and one insisted on doing the taste test as they thought they had hit the jack pot. Did not end well for him is all I have to say.

Latest posts