From whippy to Stiff

seadog26

Hi guys,

I've recently got hold of a guideline LPXE, now my former rod was a sage flight and the two rods are distances apart the guideline is very stiff and the safe is very floppy. I had a couple of casts with the new guideline and it felt very odd.

What changes should I be making to my casting?

G

guest54

Hi guys,

I've recently got hold of a guideline LPXE, now my former rod was a sage flight and the two rods are distances apart the guideline is very stiff and the safe is very floppy. I had a couple of casts with the new guideline and it felt very odd.

What changes should I be making to my casting?

Timing. :thumbs:

3lbgrayling

It should not take long to adjust to the slow or fast action.It is just a matter of engaging your muscle memory.I prefer a faster action knowadays.but give me a slower action rod and i'll be fine after 10 minutes.and jumping back to the fast action will take a couple of minutes.

Jim

karlsson

Thanks!

It is wide screen, you must be thinking about cinemascope.. If you pay for a camera capable of highspeed footage and that kind of format, I'll be happy to reshoot..... :thumbs:

Cheers
Lasse

fishing hobo

Guideline LPXe is a fantastic rod. I don't think it is that fast. You will get used to the timing soon.

ohanzee

When a beginner picks up a stiffer rod than they are used to it can feel a bit jerky, line tension switches off and on a bit more suddenly, I'd recommend taking the time to make friends with it just floating a loop back and forth till it all feels nice and fluid.
When you go back to the sage it will feel painfully slow till you adjust back, I think one of the things that makes a good caster is this ability to tune into the rod, that is a good caster knows its just a matter of adjusting.

Think smoooth.

easker1

rod bend would depend on the weight of line used, you could over line the rod and you would find the rod quite bendy or you could under line the rod and find it was quite stiff,last season I took , a 5wt line and when I got to the loch I had picked up my 3wt rod, so I persevered and it worked but it was slow :)
easker1

karlsson

Is there an optimum amount of rod bend for optimum performance?

Rusty:confused:

Yes, just enough for the task at hand.
The rod is a flexible lever much much more than a big spring. We want small bend for short casts and bigger bend for longer casts, so the tip travels as straight as possible while we accelerate the line.

I refer to my previous videoclip.

Cheers
Lasse