Fry Feeding Trout on Winterwatch last night (21/1)

Cap'n Fishy

We were talking about this on another thread. I was saying that I was surprised, given the numbers of roach and perch fry (and dace) in the Lake of Menteith, we never seem to see the fry bashing behaviour from the trout that you see on places like Rutland and Grafham. You see the pike going after them, but rarely see trout doing the 'herding and crashing through' type behaviour. Any idea why?

The other thing - I think it was the next night's prog... the cormorant on the River Ness swallowing a salmon. Makes you wonder if there is much point in the idea of increasing the weight of stockie rainbows to 3 lb to make them "cormorant-proof"?

Col

Fishtales

We were talking about this on another thread. I was saying that I was surprised, given the numbers of roach and perch fry (and dace) in the Lake of Menteith, we never seem to see the fry bashing behaviour from the trout that you see on places like Rutland and Grafham. You see the pike going after them, but rarely see trout doing the 'herding and crashing through' type behaviour. Any idea why?

The other thing - I think it was the next night's prog... the cormorant on the River Ness swallowing a salmon. Makes you wonder if there is much point in the idea of increasing the weight of stockie rainbows to 3 lb to make them "cormorant-proof"?

Col

Many years ago fishing Lawfield I caught a couple of fry bashing Rainbow so I am wondering if there is too much feeding in the LOM for them to turn on the fry.

noel

It was a night for trout yesterday, Jamie and Jimmy cooking trout from a fish farm near the River Test.

Cap'n Fishy

Many years ago fishing Lawfield I caught a couple of fry bashing Rainbow so I am wondering if there is too much feeding in the LOM for them to turn on the fry.

I would reckon the feeding in general in Menteith is way less than in Rutland and Grafham. When you catch fish that have been in for a long time, a lot of them are getting quite thin...

Col

sewinbasher

Col
No idea why it happens on some waters but not others, I've seen it at Chew Valley with trout hitting quite large roach near the boat jetty, there were curtains of scales falling through the water. I've also seen it at Rooksbury Mill where, the day after the 1987 hurricane, trout and perch had a huge shoal of fry penned against the bank at my feet for over an hour ....... but I couldn't get a single take! My brother and I were the only anglers on the fishery but I don't know if that lack of disturbance affected the fish's behaviour.

I too was interested in the cormorant, we stock minimum 1kg rainbows to deter them but they seem able to knock them off fairly easily, they do have trouble taking off and it takes a while before they can get airborne again.

Last edited:

sabalos

I would reckon the feeding in general in Menteith is way less than in Rutland and Grafham. When you catch fish that have been in for a long time, a lot of them are getting quite thin...

Col
Nice fish but does look a bit streamline. If they turned on the fry they would fatten up.
Last post mentioned Rooksbury Mill, used to visit now and then. Nice spot filled in and built on if I remember correctly.
Kingfisher Farm went the same way, such a shame.
Dave

Cap'n Fishy

Nice fish but does look a bit streamline. If they turned on the fry they would fatten up.

That's my point. We see a lot of slim residents like that. Why don't they get on the fry?

I suspect there are a lot more coarse fish and consequently fry in the english reservoirs

Again, I made the point about Menteith. It was hoaching with fry last year. We were trying to fish dry fly and being pestered with small roach or dace or perch or whatever, pulling our flies under, again and again. We would see pike break at them - things that took your breath away with the size of them. But never any real evidence of trout trying to herd them and crash through them, the way I know they do down south. Why? :unsure:

Col

gg76

I haven’t fished for rainbows much over the last few years , so maybe not a balanced view point.
However anytime that I do be that at LOM or winter small waters it’s seems that Bows are turning into a very lazy fish and seem to not chase after much and happy to pick off easy meals.

Vermontdrifter

On a similar note, every time I’ve fished a mouse fly it’s only been Browns which have taken it. I’ve passed the fly in front of large rainbows but nary a twitch on their part whereas I’ve seen Browns shoot out of nowhere to attack the fly.

BrownieBasher

Last post mentioned Rooksbury Mill, used to visit now and then. Nice spot filled in and built on if I remember correctly.
Kingfisher Farm went the same way, such a shame.
Dave
RM is where it all really began for me. i had some beautiful fish from there, but none better than the 9lb 6oz brown i had in 1991 after chasing it from 10 in the morning, to 6pm, when it took in the failing light. although i have had much bigger fish since, none will ever be as special as that brownie. Incidentally, it's (the lakes) still there, and still beautiful. There's no fishing, but you can stil walk round the lakes and remember..!

Latest posts