Fulling mill flouo v2

johnhep

Hi all. I have been using the original fulling mill fluorocarbon for years and have full confidence in it. I was talking to a fella yesterday and he mentioned it has been discontinued and replaced by a version 2. He reckons he has found it snaps at the knots. Will be gutted if it is worse than the original. Anyone any experience of version 2?

Mies

Hi all. I have been using the original fulling mill fluorocarbon for years and have full confidence in it. I was talking to a fella yesterday and he mentioned it has been discontinued and replaced by a version 2. He reckons he has found it snaps at the knots. Will be gutted if it is worse than the original. Anyone any experience of version 2?
Ah shite!! Just bought a couple of spools last week. Haven't used them yet :(

2306chris

No personal experience but was fishing with a well known guide last week who swears by the original Fulling Mill FC and warned me away from the 'version 2', said it's rubbish.
May be some truth in it then?

johnhep

Makes you wonder why they would change a winning formula. Just snapped up a couple of 100m spools of the old 6lb. Might be on the lookout for a mid range priced flouro to take over as my go to.

2306chris

I find the same with some other 'improved' tippet, ultra fine diameters seem to be breaking more easily.....maybe it's just me!

pati

That s a tragedy!

I have been using it for about 10-15years... The original is the best value for money FC available. It s main advantage is the consistency across spools over time which means I know exactly which knots to use, how much I can pull on fish, how often I need to change it.... Its only issue being that they didn’t make it in smaller size that 0.14mm.

I really hope v2 is at least as good, but I m already annoyed as it will necessarily mean adapting to a new set of properties and so reevaluating what the market has to offer... really annoyed by that move from FC... Discontinuing a product that stood the test of time is nothing else than letting down consumers....

I m sure v2 will be more expensive (of course as it will surely be even more invisible/strong/abrasion resistant or whatever)...

GEK79

That s a tragedy!

I have been using it for about 10-15years... The original is the best value for money FC available. It s main advantage is the consistency across spools over time which means I know exactly which knots to use, how much I can pull on fish, how often I need to change it.... Its only issue being that they didn’t make it in smaller size that 0.14mm.

I really hope v2 is at least as good, but I m already annoyed as it will necessarily mean adapting to a new set of properties and so reevaluating what the market has to offer... really annoyed by that move from FC... Discontinuing a product that stood the test of time is nothing else than letting down consumers....

I m sure v2 will be more expensive (of course as it will surely be even more invisible/strong/abrasion resistant or whatever)...
Its the way of the market make a lesser product try sell as much as you can before we the consumer realise its not what it used to be..

spudgun

I've just brought some of the V2, not had chance to use in anger yet, water's to warm at me local. But is it worth changing a proven line for 0.003mm, I doubt the trout will see/feel the difference. The thing that buggs me is the lack of extended molding on the back that allows the spools to be clicked together.
Cheers

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

jack_russell

This happened with a flouro I was Uber confident using - wychwood "competition" fluoro - awesome stuff, cheap as chips, could get it on 150m spools, you could horse in 3lbers (if you're into that), tough as cart rope & you could get away with wind knots & droppers/knots never gave up........never..

If this line was marketed properly wychwood would now rule the world as imo it was the holy grail of flouro.

However in their wisdom guess what - yes you've guessed it - they discontinued it & came up with an "improved" and more expensive version. I was hoping it was the old line just re-badged with a price hike but alas no - totally unreliable, crap knot strength & no abrasion resistance, I know a couple of wychwood sponsored angler & they don't use it which says it all....

Occasionally I stumble across some old stock & always snaffle it up when I find some but I'm running on empty now,

This is in relation to carp fishing - but I recall a chap saying way back in the 80's - if you latch onto an item tackle that you really, really like be it line, hooks whatever - buy a lifetimes supply cos as sure as eggs are eggs they'll stop making it at some point!

Wise words....

pati

This happened with a flouro I was Uber confident using - wychwood "competition" fluoro - awesome stuff, cheap as chips, could get it on 150m spools, you could horse in 3lbers (if you're into that), tough as cart rope & you could get away with wind knots & droppers/knots never gave up........never..

If this line was marketed properly wychwood would now rule the world as imo it was the holy grail of flouro.

However in their wisdom guess what - yes you've guessed it - they discontinued it & came up with an "improved" and more expensive version. I was hoping it was the old line just re-badged with a price hike but alas no - totally unreliable, crap knot strength & no abrasion resistance, I know a couple of wychwood sponsored angler & they don't use it which says it all....

Occasionally I stumble across some old stock & always snaffle it up when I find some but I'm running on empty now,

This is in relation to carp fishing - but I recall a chap saying way back in the 80's - if you latch onto an item tackle that you really, really like be it line, hooks whatever - buy a lifetimes supply cos as sure as eggs are eggs they'll stop making it at some point!

Wise words....
That s how and why I bought a dozen Redington NTi rods! Still have 8 of them as I m replacing the light line ones (5wt and below) with bamboo. Never tried a carbon rod better than the NTi. It has it all ultra fast yet not (too) stiff, ultra powerful in the butt yet ultra sensitive in the tip. You can fish comfortably a size 22midge on 10mm tippet 20meters from you and 10minutes later fish a 3x4mm tungsten beads belly scratcher minnow with the same 9’ 6wt rod.

Back to fluoro: I will make stocks of the original spools if I can find some!

running bear

I did once get a dud spool of 6lb FM flouro soon after it was launched but it’s been fine since. I did use it a lot, but I don’t find it a stellar flouro, but good VFM.

Recently I’ve started to use Berkley big game flouro for pike and bass leaders, and it’s excellent (stiff, abrasion resistant and a really ‘hard’ line, turning over big flies very well), so on the back of that I bought some Berkley trilene flouro In 4, 8, 12 and 15. The 15 and 12 have been used quite a bit and are doing what they need to, very robust as per the big game, but like all Berkley they appear thick for the BS.
Briefly tried the 4lb before lockdown and it did well for heavy nymphs, but didn’t get long enough with it yet to make a final judgement.

And you’re right about when you find something you really like...in 25 years I’ve found two perfect pike wires and BOTH were discontinued, about 10 years apart. I was back on the Drennan 7 strand last winter In an emergency but need to trial some of the alternatives before the winter season.

campsiefisher

Seaguar Red Label, been using it for years as have a lot of friends about £15 for 200 yards, including postage from USA, you can buy it on ebay, takes about 7days for delivery (outdoorsports) or 1000yards for about £40 many comp anglers also use it.

Best regards
Jim

johnhep

Cheers Jim. Just bought 200yds of 6lb for £12.90 delivered to try it out. It is thinner than FM.

Last edited:

gg76

Wise words....
Totally agree the Wychwood comp flouro was the best around. Absolutely had total faith in it and it was cheap for 150m the ghost and lure stuff that replaced it are not a patch on the comp flouro.

johnhep

Just to report back on the Seaguar red label. Very impressed with it. Landed 15 rainbows yesterday including one over 3lbs and not a breakage all day. The 6lb is much thinner than the 6lb fulling mill - I could even thread a size 22 buzzer on it. It peels off the spool nice and straight, and actually works out cheaper than FM. My new go-to fluoro.

2306chris

Just to report back on the Seaguar red label. Very impressed with it. Landed 15 rainbows yesterday including one over 3lbs and not a breakage all day. The 6lb is much thinner than the 6lb fulling mill - I could even thread a size 22 buzzer on it. It peels off the spool nice and straight, and actually works out cheaper than FM. My new go-to fluoro.
Hi, which seller did you use, I can find ‘departureoutdoors’, ‘tntackleandmarine’ or ‘big fish sports’ ? Thanks, Chris

icejohn

I know an England international uses the 7lb orginal for EVERYTHING. Drys the lot and swears by it.

My personal experience of fulling mill is the slightly thicker diameter has a a better turn over when casting. Is cheap and reliable. Hope it's not gone. I don't use it all the time but I do like it.

Thinner premium branded flourocarbon will break if you don't do good knots. I definitely add and heard people say add an extra turn when knotting stuff under 8 lb