Galloup's Found Link Hackle Stacker

Cap'n Fishy

We've been using Kelly Galloup's Found Link mayfly for a couple of years now, and a very useful pattern it is. I found a video of yer man doing an alternative version without the deer hair overwing, and with a 'hackle stack', paraloop type hackle instead.

Here is KG showing the method...

I do wish he would get himself a pair of fine-point scissors for close-up work! 😜

Jimmy and I have been having a go at tying it. Jimmy did it exactly as KG, with the finger in the nylon loop. I cheated a bit. I recently obtained my first ever gallows tool, from Mike Johnson, who made my vice. So, it seemed a good chance to put it to the test and use it for doing this fly.

It worked a treat...

Note I also used hackle pliers to hold the tip, rather than hold it in my fingers. Jimmy did similar. Just seemed easier to do it that way.

Here's my first efforts with it...

hacklestacks_8958.jpg

clipless_8955.jpg

Gives a nice result - a wee bit more 'delicate' than the original with the deer hair wing.

I'll have a go at some less bright ones, though those will be good as sighters on the dropper when fishing the paraloop spinner on the point. And they are not that far off some of the mayfly I encounter...

Shin2015_9161.jpg

Col

Cap'n Fishy

I did mine with the Adams combination of red game and grizzle hackle.

Aye, that's a good idea. I did one with a cree hackle off an Indian neck, but it wasn't long enough on it's own and it ended-up only coming half way over the thorax. The 2 hackle Adams combo should provide a solution...

Col

Tangled

I tied a couple or the 'ordinary' Found Links after seeing it here mentioned by somebody; probably Cap'n - just because they looked fun things. I'd had a frustrating couple of hours trying to interest trout that were rising - actually nearly flying out of the water - to mating and laying adult blue damsel flies but none of my imitations where good enough for them.

Out of pure frustration I put a found link on, even though there's never been a mayfly on the lake and they look nothing like damsel flies (even the females in my lake), I caught three fish in hour an hour. The first to the first cast. I was amazed. It's worked a couple more times since so it wasn't a fluke.